1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and acceleration due to gravity

1. Dec 17, 2006 #1
    what object is dangerous for the target, the one that has greatest momentum or the one that has least momentum and why? what is safest?
    I answeres all the parts that contain momentum and velocity and force but i stucked in this one

also
    what is the value of g (acceleration due to gravity) if the radius doubled?
    is the right formular for this question is Fg= G m1m2/r^2, or do i have to substitute the Fg with m*a, then do the rest

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2006 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Things with momentum are dangerous because it means they're moving. Are you more scared of a knife on a table or a knife thrown at you?
    That equation you posted is correct. Everything should factor out leaving 1/(r^2). How does the gravity change when the r in 1/(r^2) is changed from 1 to 2, or from 2 to 4?

4. Dec 17, 2006 #3
    so you mean that Fg is the same as g right
    and the object that has greatest momentum is the most dangerous

5. Dec 17, 2006 #4
    if i doubled the radius then the g= 1/4

6. Dec 17, 2006 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, Fg is not the same as g. From the equation, F=(Gm1m2)/r^2 which gives m2g=(Gm1m2)/r^2 and so g=Gm1/r^2

Correct

Right idea: the new value of g obtained when doubling the radius will be 1/4 times the old value of g. So, write [itex]g_{new}=\frac{1}{4}g [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?