1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Collisions

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    So, I had to complete this chart for an assignment in class regarding momentum and possible situations that could result from a collision between two objects. For the outcomes or results column of the chart there are 11 different blanks (impossible or possible) that could possibly occur and I can only think of 9.

The 9 situations after the collisions that I have are: 1. Object A moving towards the left while Object B moves towards the right, 2. Object A moving towards the right while Object B moves toward the left 3. Object A moving towards the left while Object B remains stationary 4. Object A moving towards the right while Object B remains stationary 5. Object B moving towards the right while Object A remains stationary 6. Object B moving towards the left while Object A remains stationary 7. Object A+B moving towards the left in the same direction 8. Object A+B moving towards the right in the same direction 9. Object A+B remaining stationary after the collision.

If anyone can help me think of the other two outcomes I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello ngu, and welcome to PF. :)
    Pity you erased the template: I would have appreciated being able to read the exact text of the exercise. Now I have to guess that this is a linear collision between objects that are constrained to one dimensional movement. How they can pass through each other is then a question mark to me.

If my guess is right, I miss
    Object A moving towards the left while Object B moves towards the left
    Object A moving towards the right while Object B moves towards the right
    but if I am wrong I also miss a whole lot of other directions.

You sure this is the answer that makes you happy ?

4. Dec 1, 2014 #3
    Sorry BvU, these are the directions the paper I have states:

Fill in the eleven outcome possibilities in the "Outcomes" column for when the two objects collide if 1) a moving object hits a stationary object, 2) two moving objects collide head-on, and 3) a moving object catches up and strikes another moving object from behind. If any outcome is impossible, write "impossible" across the "Outcome Conditions" columns on that row.

The eleven outcomes will be all the same for each of the three situations, and the outcome does not have to be possible for each situation.
    Also one of my nine I was able to think of did include Object A and Object B both moving in the same direction, left and right after the collision, but I can't seem to find the two other outcomes. Perhaps, it was a typo, but I don't have school today so I couldn't ask my teacher for what the answer could possibly be.

5. Dec 1, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, perhaps then it's something like:
    with A moves left, moves right, or doesn't move you have three possibilities.
    with B moves left, moves right, or doesn't move you have three possibilities.
    combined that gives nine possibilities -- where A and B speeds differ for the left-left and right-right cases.
    Then there are two more:
    A and B stick together and move left at same speed
    A and B stick together and move right at same speed

Makes eleven altogether and you can start dealing with the three cases !

I suppose this is in an introduction phase and you haven't had any equations to mobilize for this exercise ? Otherwise you certainly would have listed them under 2. relevant equations in the template, right ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted