Momentum and Impulse for a flywheel

In summary, the conversation is about determining the time required for a flywheel to come to rest, given its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and resisting moment. The initial angular velocity is calculated and the next step is to find the angular retardation and use kinematics to find the time.
richiecky
Hey. Just wondering if I could get a little help with this quest please.

A flywheel has a moment of inertia of 854kgm^s, and is allowed to come to rest from and angular velocity of 450rpm. Knowing that kinetic friction produces a resisting moment of magnitude 14Nm, determine the time required for the flywheel to come to rest.

well, i know that 450x(2pi/60) = 47.12 rad/min = 0.785rad/sec
so 0.785 is the intial angular velocity..

but am not sure where to go from here.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of inertia of the flywheel and torque on it is given. From thewse values find the angular retardation alpha, which is equal = torque/I. Then using kinematics find the time.

Sure, I'd be happy to help. To determine the time required for the flywheel to come to rest, we can use the equations for momentum and impulse. Momentum is defined as the product of mass and velocity, while impulse is the product of force and time. In this case, we can use the equation for angular momentum, which is the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity.

So, the initial angular momentum of the flywheel can be calculated as:

L = Iω = (854kgm^s)(0.785rad/sec) = 670.49 kgm^s^2

Next, we can use the equation for impulse to calculate the force acting on the flywheel. We know that the resisting moment produced by kinetic friction is 14Nm, and the flywheel has a radius of 1 meter. So, the force acting on the flywheel can be calculated as:

F = M/r = 14Nm/1m = 14N

Now, we can use the equation for impulse to calculate the time required for the flywheel to come to rest:

I = Ft = change in momentum

Rearranging for time, we get:

t = I/F = 670.49 kgm^s^2 / 14N = 47.89 seconds

Therefore, it will take approximately 47.89 seconds for the flywheel to come to rest. I hope this helps and good luck with your quest!

1. What is momentum and impulse in relation to a flywheel?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is the change in momentum over time. In the case of a flywheel, momentum refers to the rotational motion of the flywheel, while impulse is the force applied to the flywheel to change its rotational speed.

2. How is the momentum of a flywheel calculated?

The momentum of a flywheel can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the flywheel by its rotational speed. This can be expressed using the equation p = mω, where p is momentum, m is the mass of the flywheel, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the momentum and impulse of a flywheel?

The momentum and impulse of a flywheel can be affected by its mass, rotational speed, and the force applied to it. A heavier flywheel will have a greater momentum, while a higher rotational speed and greater force will result in a larger impulse.

4. How is the principle of conservation of momentum applied to a flywheel?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a flywheel, this means that the total momentum before and after an impulse is applied to the flywheel will remain the same.

5. Can momentum and impulse be used to calculate the energy stored in a flywheel?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a flywheel can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2Iω^2, where KE is kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the flywheel, and ω is the angular velocity. This calculation takes into account the momentum and impulse of the flywheel.