Momentum and kinetic energy in collisions with a bullet

In summary, this problem involves a bullet of mass 4.2 g colliding with a ballistic pendulum of mass 2.0 kg. By using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy, the bullet's initial speed can be calculated by first finding its speed after the collision and then using that value to solve for the initial speed. The problem also involves a second component, the pendulum's swing, where momentum is not conserved but energy is conserved. This swing allows for the calculation of the bullet's speed after the collision.
jdawg

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 4.2 g strikes a ballistic pendulum of mass 2.0 kg. The center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 18 cm. Assuming that the bullet remains embedded in the pendulum, calculate the bullet's initial speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by converting everything into the correct units:
Bullet's mass(m)= 0.0042 kg Ballistic pendulum(M)= 2 kg Vertical distance(h)= 0.18 m

Then used this equation to solve for the velocity of the bullet after the collison:
vbullet=[itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]
vbullet=[itex]\sqrt{2(9.8)(0.18)}[/itex]
vbullet=1.878 m/s

Then this equation to get the bullet's initial speed:
vi=[itex]\frac{(M+m)}{m}[/itex](V)
vi=[itex]\frac{(2+0.0042)}{0.0042}[/itex](1.878)
vi=896.16 m/s

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, my online homework only wants 2 significant digits.
Also, if someone could explain to me where these equations came from I would really appreciate it. I'm having some trouble understanding how to manipulate the energy equations to wind up with the ones I used in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution seems correct. The first equation you used is energy conservation while the second equation is momentum conservation what value did you did you plug in as your answer to the homework? You said the homework wants 2 sig figs. Did you do the rounding correctly?

Also, 42 g = 0.042 kg.

dauto said:
Also, 42 g = 0.042 kg.

Wouldn't you divide 4.2 by 1000 and get 0.0042 kg?
And for my answer into the homework I tried putting in 896.

Sorry. I though the problem said 42g. It actually says 4.2g. Try using 900 for your answer

dauto said:
Sorry. I though the problem said 42g. It actually says 4.2g. Try using 900 for your answer

Thank you so much, it worked!

Instead of telling us what equation you used, frame it in terms of the physics concepts that you are using to solve the problem. For example, explain how you will apply conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

swordthrower said:
Instead of telling us what equation you used, frame it in terms of the physics concepts that you are using to solve the problem. For example, explain how you will apply conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

I don't understand it well enough to explain what I did :( I don't really know what is going on in this problem.

jdawg said:
I don't understand it well enough to explain what I did :( I don't really know what is going on in this problem.

That's a problem. The point of doing all that work is so that you will actually know what is going on in the problem

dauto said:
That's a problem. The point of doing all that work is so that you will actually know what is going on in the problem

I know, I'm really lost in this chapter. Could you explain it to me?

This problem is a two part problem.

1st part: THE COLLISION

During the collision momentum is conserved (no external forces) but energy isn't (A large fraction of the bullets energy is converted to heat. So you get momentum before collision equal momentum after collision. That provides the equation you used to find the bullet's initial speed. But before doing that you had to find the speed after the collision which brings as to part 2.

2nd part: THE SWING

During the swing momentum is not conserved because the tension in the string holding the block provides an external force that affects the momentum. But that force does no work (force perpendicular to trajectory) so energy is conserved during the swing. Kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing (immediately after the collision) is converted to potential energy at the top of the swing (where h is measured). That provides the equation you used to find the speed after the collision.

dauto said:
This problem is a two part problem.

1st part: THE COLLISION

During the collision momentum is conserved (no external forces) but energy isn't (A large fraction of the bullets energy is converted to heat. So you get momentum before collision equal momentum after collision. That provides the equation you used to find the bullet's initial speed. But before doing that you had to find the speed after the collision which brings as to part 2.

2nd part: THE SWING

During the swing momentum is not conserved because the tension in the string holding the block provides an external force that affects the momentum. But that force does no work (force perpendicular to trajectory) so energy is conserved during the swing. Kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing (immediately after the collision) is converted to potential energy at the top of the swing (where h is measured). That provides the equation you used to find the speed after the collision.

Ohhh, thanks! That cleared a lot of things up :)

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as one-half of the object's mass multiplied by the square of its velocity. It is also a vector quantity.

How does momentum and kinetic energy change in a collision with a bullet?

In a collision with a bullet, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total momentum and kinetic energy after the collision.

What factors affect the momentum and kinetic energy in a collision with a bullet?

The mass and velocity of the bullet and the object it is colliding with will affect the momentum and kinetic energy in a collision. The angle and type of collision can also play a role.

How is the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy used in real-world scenarios?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is used in many real-world scenarios, such as in car crashes and sports. It helps engineers design safer cars and athletes to understand the importance of proper technique to conserve energy and momentum.