Momentum: Collisions; Unable to get correct answer, using wrong formula?

In summary, Apollinaria's homework statement had incorrect equations and the attempt at a solution was incorrect because the total momentum before the collision was zero.
Apollinaria
Hello again everyone!

I've been plowing through yet another worksheet and thought I'd been okay until my solutions and formulas stopped working :( I was wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for reading!

Homework Statement

- A 225g ball moves right with a velocity of 30cm/s. (.225kg and .3m/s)

- This ball collides with a 125g ball also moving to the right with a velocity of 10cm/s.
(9.125kg and .1m/s)

- After they collide the velocity of the 125g ball is 24cm/s(.24m/s) to the right. What is the velocity of the 225g ball after the collision?

2. Homework Equations & 3. The Attempt at a Solution
I showed all of my work (information and relevant equations) in the attached document. What I don't understand is why it's all wrong and why the direction I got is negative (it's positive in the answer key).

Any help would be really appreciated. I have a whole page of these to do but this one is stopping me as I am obviously doing something wrong.:confused:

Attachments

• #26.jpg
    #26.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Apollinaria. Why did you set the final total momentum equal to zero?

TSny said:
Hi Apollinaria. Why did you set the final total momentum equal to zero?

Hi again TSny, I based it on notes; "If an explosion is occurring in an isolated system, the momentum is conserved but the momentum before the explosion is zero."
We were given a formula:

P1' + P2' = 0

Is there something else I should be using that I'm not aware of?...

Well, in the case of the explosion, the bomb was just sitting there. So, it had no momentum. Thus, the final total momentum must be zero.

But, you have a different problem. What is the total momentum of the two masses before the collision?

TSny said:
Well, in the case of the explosion, the bomb was just sitting there. So, it had no momentum. Thus, the final total momentum must be zero.

But, you have a different problem. What is the total momentum of the two masses before the collision?

So I can only use that formula for when one of the objects is stationary?

p=mv

p1= .225kg x .3m/s = 0.0675
p2= .125kg x .1m/s = 0.0125

p1 + p2 = 0.08

There should be 2 P1 and 2 P2.

So I should be using this...

p1 + p2 = p1' + p2'

instead of...
P1' + P2' = 0

?

Using symbols P11, P21, P12 and P22
or P1i, P2i,P1f,P2f make them clear of their states

azizlwl said:
Using symbols P11, P12, P21 and P22
or P1i, P2i,P1f,P2f make them clear of their states

I know. However, my confusion isn't with the symbols or states but with which formula to use for that particular problem.

Apollinaria said:
So I should be using this...

p1 + p2 = p1' + p2'

instead of...
P1' + P2' = 0

?

Yes, that's how to set it up. As azizlwl points out, it might be clearer if you use appropriate subscripts to denote initial and final values. But, if you are used to using primes for final values, ok.

You find the TOTAL initial momentum and final TOTAL momentum.
For conservation of momentum, the total initial momentum must be equal to total final momentum.

TSny said:
Yes, that's how to set it up. As azizlwl points out, it might be clearer if you use appropriate subscripts to denote initial and final values. But, if you are used to using primes for final values, ok.

You are amazing :) I use primes because having an obscene amount of subscripts get really confusing. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction:rofl::tongue:

azizlwl said:
You find the TOTAL initial momentum and final TOTAL momentum.
For conservation of momentum, the total initial momentum must be equal to total final momentum.

Thank you very much for both of your suggestions. I realize in some cases its easier to label initial and final values with "correct" subscripts but it gets messy and long to write out every single time. I finally got this figured out :)

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a collision in terms of momentum?

A collision occurs when two or more objects come into contact with each other and transfer momentum between them.

3. What formula should be used to calculate momentum in a collision?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula can be used to calculate the momentum of individual objects before and after a collision, as well as the total momentum of a system.

4. Why am I getting the wrong answer when using the formula for momentum in collisions?

There are several potential reasons for getting the wrong answer when using the formula for momentum in collisions. Some common mistakes include using the wrong units for mass and velocity, not considering the direction of the momentum, and not accounting for all objects involved in the collision.

5. How can I ensure I am using the correct formula for calculating momentum in collisions?

To ensure you are using the correct formula for calculating momentum in collisions, make sure you are using the correct units for mass and velocity, properly considering the direction of the momentum, and accounting for all objects involved in the collision. Double-checking your calculations and using diagrams or visual aids can also help ensure accuracy.