1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Momentum-Determining External Forces

Tags:
  1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    I am studying momentum and I just want to check that I understand the idea correctly.

Think theres a system.In this system theres two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## moving with some velocity ##\vec v_1## and ##\vec v_2## and they exert a forces each other.Lets call the total force acting on ##m_1## is ##\vec F_1## and for ##m_2## is ##\vec F_2##.

So If ##\vec F_1=\vec F^{ext}+\vec F_{21}##
    ##\vec F_2=\vec F^{ext}+\vec F_{12} ##

Then the change in the total momentum;
    ##Δ\vec P=\vec {(F_{tot})^{ext}} Δt##

If theres no exteral force then, ##Δ\vec P=0## .So If theres no external force then the change in momentum should be zero .If theres external force and its constant then the change in momentum will be constant but non-zero.##Δ\vec P≠0##

If the change in momentum is zero(No external force) the center of mass of the system will be not moving.If theres external force it will accelerate by ##\frac {\vec {(F_{tot})^{ext}} } {M}=a_{com}## (##M## here total mass of the system)

Just I am confused with the idea of external force...Think theres two object making projectile motion.and colliding in the air.Is the external force in here is gravity ? (No air drag)

How can we determine the external forces in a given system ?

Most collions happens in a small amount of time (##Δt## nearly ##0##), in this case can we say ##Δ\vec P=0## ? and If we can why ? (There will be external force)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think again: its momentum doesn't change. But it can well be nonzero.

Correct. The reverse process: fireworks ! A rocket shoots off and explodes into a bunch of fireballs. Without air drag the center of mass simply continues the parabola the original rocket was following.

For instance by using ##F = mg## when gravity is the only external force acting !

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    So in any system The free body diagram will be showing us the external forces ?

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4
    If we collide two objects in space.There would be no external force so the ##Δ\vec P=0## Even if theres external forces in small ##Δt## (the collusion time) from the equation of ##Δ\vec P=\vec {(F_{tot})^{ext}} Δt##

##Δ\vec P## should be zero

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5
    ##Δ\vec V_{com}=0⇔Δ\vec P=0## ##Δ\vec V_{com}## can have any value bot the change must be zero
    Is this true ?

7. Jan 31, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's about it. We restrict our considerations to constant mass cases, so ## {d\over dt} \left ( m\vec v \right ) = m {dv\over dt}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted