Momentum, Gravity and Friction Mixed Problem

In summary, a 15g bullet is fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 750m/s. The block is on a table 5.0m away from the edge of the table and the table is 1.1m above the floor. The block slides off the table and hits the floor with a final velocity of 750m/s.
Haroon

Homework Statement

A 15g bullet is fired from a gun, leaving the gun with a muzzle velocity of 750m/s. It hits and sticks in a 1250g wooden block. The block is on a table 5.0m away from edge. The table is 1.1m above the floor and between the block and the table surface constant of kinetic friction is 0.50. Will the block slide off the table and if so what will be the horizontal distance from the block to the table base when the block hits the floor?

Homework Equations

Momentum equation , dynamics, friction and Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

so basically we find the intial velocity of wooden block with the help of given data of bullet b/c momentum has been conserved. so block is moving. or maybe m wrong. this question has confused me. suppose the block is moving then how do we know how far it will go. I have some idea but how do i derive equations and find the answer,
Plzz help. Its very important.

Physics news on Phys.org
use conservation of momentum.
after the bullet sticks it has the same velocity as the block and hence it is a inelastic collision.
calculate final velocity of block and bullet.

That becomes the initial velocity for the block.

Now see if the mass*accln of block is greater than frictional force or not.
if yes...then:
Use force equation to calculate accln of block.

Now calculate its velocity after it reaches the edge of the table i.e. travels 5m.

Then take the block to be a projectile to be fired horizontally and calculate the range.

HERE take vertical height as height of table i.e. 1.1m

i have no delta(t) here?
how i u suppose to sub it in equation?

i think i got it, using kinematics eqs.
but if u want to explain it to me to clarify then it would be very nice. thanks. :D

sure frnd but first show me ur work how u r proceeding...

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

2. How does gravity affect momentum?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, and it affects momentum by changing the velocity of an object. When an object is falling due to gravity, its momentum increases as its velocity increases.

3. What is the relationship between friction and momentum?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can decrease an object's momentum. The amount of friction present can determine how quickly an object's momentum decreases. For example, a rough surface will have more friction and therefore decrease momentum more than a smooth surface.

4. How do momentum, gravity, and friction work together in a mixed problem?

In a mixed problem, momentum, gravity, and friction all play a role in determining the overall motion of an object. The force of gravity will accelerate an object and increase its momentum, while friction will decrease the momentum. The object's mass and initial velocity will also affect its momentum in the problem.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum, gravity, and friction working together?

Some examples of these forces working together include a ball rolling down a hill, a car braking to a stop, and a person sliding down a water slide. In each of these situations, momentum, gravity, and friction are all involved in determining the motion of the objects involved.