1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum, impulse, and power definitions

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    Hey,
    This may seem as stupid query for you people out there, but I would like to know if somebody would be able to spare a moment or two in explaining to me what the terms:
    momentum
    impulse
    power
    mean/refer to in the study of kinematics. Thank you heaps for your kindness, time and effort for reply to this post,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try google, type in "define: momentum" etc. and it will display a range of definitions from the web :smile:

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

5. Aug 24, 2006 #4
    thanks Hootenanny for the advice and Astronus for the links, your help is greatly appriciated :smile:

6. Aug 26, 2006 #5
    none of those terms have anything to do with the study of kinematics. They have something to do with the study of dynamics.

7. Aug 26, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Good point.

I think some people confuse the two terms "kinematics" and "dynamics".

In physics, kinematics is the branch of mechanics concerned with the motions of objects without being concerned with mass or the forces that cause the motion, whereas dynamics is concerned with the forces that affect motion.

Kinematics is concerned with accelerations, but not the forces or mass related to the accelerations, so it deals with time and space (displacement).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?