Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum in two different k-points

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    For two different points [itex] k[/itex] and [itex] k\prime [/itex] in the Brillouin zone, can we have the same momentum? (By momentum I mean the real momentum, not the crystal momentum [itex]\hbar k[/itex] or [itex]\hbar k\prime[/itex]).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Sure, e.g. phonons all have true momentum=0, independently of the k value. For other particles, like electrons, doesn't have a well defined value in crystals, i.e. the electron is not in a momentum eigenstate. Hence, the momentum distribution of electrons with different k values will in general overlap, so that it is possible to obtain the same momentum when measuring it.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3
    I think maybe not for Bloch wave states, although I am not sure.
    If there is crystal momentum at some real momentum p would be shown in ##<n, k| p>##
    $$\psi_{nk}(x) \propto e^{ik\cdot x} u_n(x)$$
    $$<n, k| p> \propto \int dx e^{i(p/\hbar - k)x}u_{n}(x)$$
    This can be interpreted as a Fourier transform. Because ##u_n## is periodic it will only have Fourier components at certain frequencies.
    $$p/\hbar - k = G$$
    for any
    $$G = g_1\mathbf{b}_1 + g_2\mathbf{b}_2 + g_3\mathbf{b}_3,\, g_i \in \mathbb{z}$$
    with ##b_i## being reciprocal lattice vectors.
    Note that this does not mean that there is a momentum component at that value of ##k##, it just means there could be. Whether or not it does depends on ##u_n##.
    So, although each ##k## couples to many different values of momentum, it seems those values of momentum are not shared with others in the same B.Z. But you will not get the values of ##p##to overlap for two ##k## in the same BZ. I am trying to illustrate this idea with the following crude picture.
    tV0qByr.png
    You would have to go out of the BZ to get another value of k that corresponded to the same p. Once outside the BZ you could add a reciprocal lattice vector.
    $$p_0/\hbar = k_1 + \underbrace{0}_{G_1} = \underbrace{k_1 + \mathbf{b}_1}_{k_2} - \mathbf{b}_1 = k_2 + G_2 $$
    So
    $$k_2 =k_1 + \mathbf{b}_1$$ would also correspond to the same momentum ##p_0##. This was by using a different value of ##G##, ## G_2 = - \mathbf{b}_1 ##. But by adding ##b_1##, we left the BZ of ##k_1##.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. Sep 14, 2015 #4
    Yes, I think so but if we take the expectation value of momentum, namely p=m vgroup , where vgroup is proportional to the slope of energy band, it seems reasonable to have the same momentum at different points of BZ.

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    I am confused. When an electron absorb a phonon, it receives both the energy and momentum of that phonon; and a phonon mode is characterized by its energy and momentum (wavevector), and all modes in one branch have their energy-wavevector characteristics face, correct?

Second, as an electron is not in a momentum eigenstate, it would not be associated with any specific k value. But I agree with that the electron will take a k value once it is measured.

7. Sep 17, 2015 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

You are confusing true momentum p and crystal momentum (or wavevector) k. When an electron absorbs a phonon, the wave vector is conserved up to a lattice vector. True momentum is also conserved, but it is not carried by the phonon, but by the whole crystal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook