Experiments for temperature dependence of persistent supercurrent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a supercurrent in a mercury ring at different temperatures. According to the BCS theory of superconductivity, the pair density should decrease with warming, leading to a decrease in supercurrent. However, experiments have shown that the supercurrent remains constant despite temperature variations. This challenges the assumption of pair recombination in the BCS theory. Additionally, there have been discussions about the behavior of a supercurrent below the critical current density and how it may provide evidence for the BCS prediction.
StanislavD
TL;DR Summary
According to the BCS theory of superconductivity, the superfluid density decreases at warming. Hence an eternal supercurrent must also decrease. However, all observations indicate that the supercurent is stable although every cryostat produces temperature scattering. Does someone know papers about direct experiments for the temperature dependence of persistent supercurrents in superconductors?
Imagine, in a mercury ring (superconductivity below Tc=4.15 K) we establish a persistent supercurrent. Then we organize temperature cycles (T-cycles) in the cryostat, from 3 K to 2.5 K and back. According to the BCS theory of superconductivity, the pair density decreases at warming, i.e. a not negligible fraction of pairs annihilates; the same fraction of pairs emerges back at cooling. Annihilated pairs lose their ordered supercurrent momentum on the atom lattice, so the supercurrent decreases at warming; newly created pairs do not experience any electromotive-force (EMF), since the EMF is no longer available in the ring. Hence, according to the BCS theory, the supercurrent must decrease at every T-cycle and dissipate after a number of T-cycles. However, in all experiments the supercurrent remains constant (despite large temperature variations in cryostats) and, thus, the pair recombination (assumed in BCS) doesn’t take place.
Do the pairs really annihilate when they flow in an eternal supercurrent?
Are there any papers about direct experiments with a supercurrent at different temperatures?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's how it works.

If I have a current density j (j < j_c) and cool it, I still have a current density j. If I heat it (but not so much that j exceeds j_c) I still have a current density j. If I heat it further (so j > j_c) the current doesn't drop - the material goes normal.

Exactly. The case j < j_c is very interesting. If j is independent of temperature, then the superfluid density is also independent and, thus, we can verify an important BSC prediction.

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments for temperature dependence of persistent supercurrent?

The purpose of these experiments is to understand the behavior of persistent supercurrent, which is a phenomenon observed in superconducting materials at very low temperatures. By studying the temperature dependence of this effect, scientists can gain insight into the underlying mechanisms of superconductivity.

2. How are these experiments typically conducted?

These experiments involve cooling a superconducting material to very low temperatures and then measuring the persistent supercurrent as the temperature is gradually increased. This is usually done using specialized equipment such as cryostats and superconducting magnets.

3. What are the potential applications of studying temperature dependence of persistent supercurrent?

Understanding the temperature dependence of persistent supercurrent can have practical applications in fields such as energy storage, transportation, and medical imaging. It can also help in the development of more efficient superconducting materials.

4. What factors can affect the results of these experiments?

The results of these experiments can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the superconducting material, the strength of the magnetic field, and the accuracy of the temperature measurements. It is important for scientists to control these factors to ensure reliable results.

5. What are some current areas of research in this field?

Some current areas of research in this field include studying the effects of impurities and defects on the temperature dependence of persistent supercurrent, exploring new superconducting materials with unique properties, and investigating the potential use of persistent supercurrent in quantum computing.