1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Investigation: Car collision

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    (Q) A Ford car of mass 1138kg, collides with a Vauxhall car, of mass 1849kg, stationary at a stop line. The ford stops immediately but pushes the Vauxhall forward 13.42m. Was the Ford travelling over 13.41m/s before the collision?

I can't seem to find a solution as everything I have tried, I always end up needing a time value.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    Merely use the law of conservation of momentum. m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v3 + m2v4...

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    You can get the velocity of Vauxhall car by conservation of momentum but as for distance covered you either need the value of frictional coefficient between the car and road (and hence find the distance covered when it stops) or the time at which distance is measured. Are you sure the question is complete? Or it may be that 13.42 is the velocity and not the displacement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted