Momentum of a Bullet Contacting a Block

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 9K views
LastXdeth
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A bullet with a mass of 4.0 g and a speed of 650 m/s is fired at a block of wood with a mass of 0.095 kg. The block rests on a frictionless surface, and is thin enough that the bullet passes completely through it. Immediately after the bullet exits the block, the speed of the block is 23 m/s.

(a) What is the speed of the bullet when it exits the block?


(b) Is energy conserved in this collision? (yes or no)

Homework Equations


(m1)(v1o)+(m2)(v2o)=(m1)(v1)+(m2)(v2)


The Attempt at a Solution



(4000)(650)+(0.095)(0)=(4000)(v1)+(0.095)(23)

v1≈650.00 (Apparently this is wrong.)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lewando said:
Your mass units need attention.
I don't see any mass unit that needs attention. The only thing I did with mass was convert m1 (4.0 g) to the SI unit kg.
 
lewando said:
4g is not 4000kg. :smile:

Aww crap! Dang, I feel so ridiculous for reversing it up!
 
We all have our moments. That would be some big bullet. No wonder it didn't slow down.
 
With the correct unit conversions and your same formula, I got 296.94
 
PotentialE said:
With the correct unit conversions and your same formula, I got 296.94

I got 103.75. :confused:
 
MV+MV = MV+MV
.004kg*650m/s + .095kg*0 = .004kg*VF + .095kg*23
2.6 = .004*VF + 2.185
.0415 = .004VF
Vf= 103.75

0.0 my bad, man sorry about that
 
PotentialE said:
MV+MV = MV+MV
.004kg*650m/s + .095kg*0 = .004kg*VF + .095kg*23
2.6 = .004*VF + 2.185
.0415 = .004VF
Vf= 103.75

0.0 my bad, man sorry about that

No problem! Thanks for confirming!