Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monotonicity of the riemann integral

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

For integrable [tex] f,g:\left[a,b\right]\rightarrow\mathbb{R} [/tex] with [tex]f(x)\leq g(x)[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\left[a,b\right][/tex], it's a basic property of the riemann integral that
    [tex]\[\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \leq \int_a^b g(x)\,dx\][/tex]

My question is whether the strict version of this inequality holds, i.e. if we have the same hypotheses as above, except with [tex]f(x)<g(x)[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\left[a,b\right][/tex], then do we get the following inequality?
    [tex]\[\int_a^b f(x)\,dx < \int_a^b g(x)\,dx\][/tex]

This question arose while trying to solve a rather different problem; I feel like it's not true in general, but I haven't yet come up with a counterexample.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
    Yes, you get the strict inequality. The integral of a positive function is obviously positive.

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    If you take a = b then the strict inequality is not true.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    Like jg89 pointed out, it holds as long as the lower and the upper limits of integration are not the same.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5
    Is this obvious?

A Riemann-integrable function on [a, b] (with a < b) is continuous almost everywhere, so in particular it's continuous at one point; if this ensures that if the function is strictly positive, then its integral is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook