More projectile motion problems (sigh)

In summary: Note that ur answer will be in radian...And for qn 2, pls note that the whole path of the projectile will be a parabola, thus ur answer will be the horizontal range..In summary, the conversation discusses two projectile problems. The first problem involves a missile being fired at a target 1,200 miles away with a launch velocity of 15,000 ft/s. The question asks for the angle at which the missile must be fired and the time it will take to hit the target. The second problem involves a projectile being fired at a 30 degree angle from the top of a 600 ft. high cliff with an initial speed of 2000 ft/s. The question asks for the horizontal distance
raizen91
got two more problems, hope you could help. more projectile problems...(sigh), i don't know how to start, hoping you guys could help me with the initial steps...

1. a missile is fired with a launch velocity of 15,000 ft/s at a target 1,200 miles away. at what angle must it be fired to hit the target? how long after it is fired will the target be hit.

2. a projectile is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal from the top of a cliff 600 ft. high : the initial speed of the projectile is 2000 ft/s. how far will the projectile move horizontally before it hits level grained at the base of the cliff?

Likes Alberto16
Physics news on Phys.org
i'd start with assumptions:
1) no air resistance
2) gravity is that of Earth
3) can you write an equation that describes the motion of the projectile that can be solved for the unknown you're looking for?

um... and the first one is worded poorly. "missiles" are usually "fired" or launched, but then they continue to burn their own fuel and propel themselves toward their targets :) thus, for question 1), the answer could well be "zero degrees" of launch angle, with the assumption that the thing's got wings and a guidance control system. :)))) but not likely.
better to assume it's "fired" like a projectile, much as in problem #2, with an initial velocity with horizontal and vertical components, and go from there.

raizen91 said:
got two more problems, hope you could help. more projectile problems...(sigh), i don't know how to start, hoping you guys could help me with the initial steps...

1. a missile is fired with a launch velocity of 15,000 ft/s at a target 1,200 miles away. at what angle must it be fired to hit the target? how long after it is fired will the target be hit.

2. a projectile is fired at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal from the top of a cliff 600 ft. high : the initial speed of the projectile is 2000 ft/s. how far will the projectile move horizontally before it hits level grained at the base of the cliff?

For 1 you might find this thread useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=112308

-Dan

plusaf said:
i'd start with assumptions:
1) no air resistance
2) gravity is that of Earth
3) can you write an equation that describes the motion of the projectile that can be solved for the unknown you're looking for?

um... and the first one is worded poorly. "missiles" are usually "fired" or launched, but then they continue to burn their own fuel and propel themselves toward their targets :) thus, for question 1), the answer could well be "zero degrees" of launch angle, with the assumption that the thing's got wings and a guidance control system. :)))) but not likely.
better to assume it's "fired" like a projectile, much as in problem #2, with an initial velocity with horizontal and vertical components, and go from there.
ok, here's what i did.
vx = r / t
dx/ v[subx] = vx * t / vx
= 1931,216.66 m / 4572.009
= 422.4 seconds
now for the angle
cos[theta] = vx / vx
= 4572.009 / 4572.009 =1
= 60 degrees
ok...is this right?

Not clear to me what you are doing here. Start by expressing the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity in terms of the initial speed (which is given) and the unknown angle. (Do this algebraically; don't plug in numbers until the last step.) Then:

(1) Write an expression for horizontal distance as a function of time. (Use [itex]x = x_0 + v_0 t[/tex].)

(2) Write an expression relating the initial vertical speed with the total time of flight. (Use [itex]v = v_0 + a t[/itex].)

You'll get two equations and two unknowns; you'll be able to solve for the angle and the time. When you finally plug in numbers, be sure to use proper units. (Convert distances to feet.)

silly wording but ithink its clear...i doubt they r referring to some sort of ..projectile mathematics...use equations of motion...sumbody do it...my hands r lazy..ok ..good luck..

Click the Basic Motion tutorial in my signature for some help with methodology.

Let's walkthrough real quickly.

The velocity must be split up into two components. X and Y. Cos@ and Sin@ respectively.

Vix=15000cos@
X=1200 miles (6336000 feet)
Since there is no acceleration horizontally, the equation is X=Vix*t.

Viy=15000sin@
Y=maximum height which occurs halfway (600 miles) at t/2.
Since there is acceleration vertically downward, the equation is:
Y=Viy*t+1/2*g(t^2)

Note that this equation for the Y direction is a parabolic equation and has two zeros. Initial point and the point where it hits.

This is an easier problem than number one.

@=30 degrees.
Vi=2000 ft/s
Vix=2000cos30
Viy=2000sin30
X=?
Y=600 ft

Y=Viy*t + 1/2*g*t^2
X=Vix*t

Find the total time it takes for it to hit the ground (hint, use the equation for the Y direction and then plug in t for the equation for X direction)

For qn 1, what you could actually do was to solve the question using the eqns for both the horizontal and vertical components. Assume no air resistance, ur horizontal component eqn will be simply s=ut while the eqn for vertical component will be s=ut+1/2at^2.. Find t in terms of s and u using the the first eqn and sub the t into ur 2nd eqn..and thus, simply solve for
the unknown angle..

Pls note that that ur vertical speed must also be expressed in the (sin) or (cos) of the unknown angle.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air under the influence of gravity.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation V0 = V * cosθ, where V is the initial velocity of the object and θ is the launch angle.

3. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = (V2 * sin2θ)/g, where V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, or drag, slows down the projectile and causes it to follow a slightly different path than if there was no air resistance. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and speed of the object.

5. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors like wind and rotation of the Earth may also have a small impact.