More (VERY BASIC) Questions on Example on Wedge Products

In summary: Is this correct? Why?It assumes all these type of elements commute ... is that correct? Why?All the elements of a vector space commute with each other, because they are all vectors. This is why the equation above is true.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Barrett O'Neil's book: Elementary Differential Geometry ...

I need help with some more issues/problems with the example on wedge products of differential forms in O'Neill's text on page 31 in Section 1.6 ..The example reads as follows:
?temp_hash=2e52d86ccd823c5194d91036af8ef28d.png
In my working of the example above ... trying to understand (*) ... I proceeded as follows ... but had some questions almost immediately ...

We have [itex]\phi = f \ dx[/itex] and [itex]\psi = g \ dy[/itex]so we can write (can we?)[itex]d ( \phi \wedge \psi ) = d( f \ dx \wedge \ g \ dy )[/itex][itex]= d (f \ dx \ g \ dy ) [/itex]But is this last step correct? That is is the wedge product of these elements just a concatenation? If so, why?
Continuing ...

[itex]d (f \ dx \ g \ dy ) = d( fg \ dx \ dy )[/itex]

Is this correct? Why?
It assumes all these type of elements commute ... is that correct? Why?... I am also perplexed by what is happening (and the justification) in O'Neill's step in (*) where he writes:

[itex]d(fg \ dx \ dy ) = \partial (fg) / \partial z \ dz \ dx \ dy [/itex]Can someone explain and justify this step please ... preferably by providing all the intervening steps and their justification ...
Hope someone can help with these questions/issues/problems ...

Peter

Attachments

• O'Neill - EXAMPLE on page 31 - Wedge Products of Differential Forms.png
    O'Neill - EXAMPLE on page 31 - Wedge Products of Differential Forms.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
d(f dx g dy)=d(fg dx dy)

Is this correct? Why?
It assumes all these type of elements commute ... is that correct? Why?
I can do the middle one, as it's very quick, and I only have a minute right now.
f and g are scalars, whereas dx and dy are one-forms, which are elements of a vector space. As is usual with vector spaces, we can move scalars around as much as we like, and that's what's done above. However the vectors / one-forms dx and dy do not commute with each other (in fact if you change the order you change the sign - they anti-commute), so their order cannot be changed.
Hope that helps.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
I can do the middle one, as it's very quick, and I only have a minute right now.
f and g are scalars, whereas dx and dy are one-forms, which are elements of a vector space. As is usual with vector spaces, we can move scalars around as much as we like, and that's what's done above. However the vectors / one-forms dx and dy do not commute with each other (in fact if you change the order you change the sign - they anti-commute), so their order cannot be changed.
Hope that helps.
Thanks Andrew ... yes, most helpful

Peter

1. What is a wedge product?

A wedge product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is commonly used in vector calculus and is denoted by the symbol ∧.

2. How is a wedge product different from a cross product?

While both wedge and cross products involve combining two vectors, they produce different results. A cross product produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and has a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. A wedge product, on the other hand, produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and has a magnitude equal to the volume of the parallelepiped formed by the two vectors.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of a wedge product?

The geometric interpretation of a wedge product is the area or volume of the parallelogram or parallelepiped formed by the two vectors being wedged together. This interpretation is useful in visualizing and understanding the properties and applications of wedge products.

4. How is a wedge product used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, wedge products are used to calculate quantities related to rotation, torque, and angular momentum. They are also used in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of wedge products?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of wedge products. They are used in computer graphics and computer vision to calculate the area of triangles and volumes of 3D objects. They are also used in robotics and control systems to model and control the movement of robotic arms and other mechanical systems.