MOSFET (common source) current paths

In summary, the voltage gain of a common source MOSFET is negative because the signal is inverted. The definition of gm is drain current divided by gate voltage, so the drain current is equal to gm times the gate voltage. When considering the voltage across the load resistor, it can be expressed as gm times the gate voltage times RL. Therefore, the gain is equal to gm times RL. However, the negative sign indicates that the signal is inverted. This can be seen by considering the output waveform, which is equal to the gain times the input waveform. Therefore, the gain is actually negative when considering the inversion of the signal.
Renshai
Why is the voltage gain of a common source MOSFET negative?

I have a schematic below and I get the voltage gain to be -gm(ro||Rd). I say that is what I get, but the truth is that is what my professor said we should get. I do not understand why the Gain (Av) is negative. It will go a long way (I think) in also helping me understanding the current path for finding Gm, Rin, and Rout.

Sorry about making the schematic a thumbnail attachment. I know it would be much easier to put it in this workspace, but I do not know how to embed the schematic into this workspace.

Attachments

• Common Source small signal 1B.jpg
    Common Source small signal 1B.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas? I could really use the help. Thanks.

Just consider signal currents and voltages and ignore any DC voltages or currents.

First, the negative sign just means the signal is inverted. I will omit this to make the following clearer.

Then, the definition of gm is
gm = drain current / gate voltage

so, drain current = gm * gate voltage.

Voltage across load resistor RL = drain current * RL

So, Voltage across load resistor RL = gm * gate voltage * RL

Gain = Voltage across load resistor RL / gate voltage = gm * RL

RL means the actual load resistor plus the output resistance of the FET plus any load from the following stage, all in parallel.

That is a very good way of putting that information. I appreciate that very much. I will be able to see the MOSFET a little more clearly now. As far as the negative gm, you said that the signal is just inverted. I guess my question is why? If I do a very basic design of the common gate I get a gain of gm*RL (taking ro and gmb out of the equation). That gain is not negative or inverted, so I guess I am still a little confused by the negative sign or inversion. Thank you for your information so far. It is very helpful.

The gm isn't negative.

If the input waveform is Vin = sin(wt)
Then the output is {gain} * {-sin(wt)}

So the gain = -sin(wt) * gm * RL / sin(wt)
= - (gm * RL)

Note the negative sign.

Last edited:

What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor used in electronic devices to amplify or switch electronic signals. It consists of a metal gate electrode placed on top of an insulating layer (oxide) on a semiconductor material.

What is the common source configuration?

The common source configuration is a type of circuit used in MOSFET transistors. In this configuration, the source terminal of the MOSFET is connected to the ground, the gate terminal is used as the input, and the drain terminal is used as the output.

What is the purpose of the common source configuration?

The common source configuration is used to amplify signals and control the flow of current in a circuit. It allows for a small input voltage or signal to control a larger output current.

What are the current paths in a common source configuration?

In a common source configuration, the input current flows from the gate to the source, and the output current flows from the drain to the source. The source acts as a common connection point for both the input and output current paths.

What are the advantages of using a common source configuration?

The common source configuration has several advantages, including high input impedance, low output impedance, and high voltage gain. It also allows for a wide range of input and output signal levels and can be easily connected to other electronic components.