Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most efficent Portable Energy sources

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    Sorry if this is stupid question, but I am just curious. And sorry if I posted in wrong forum but it seemed to um... Fit the most. And sorry if my English isn't perfect :).

Ok now, the title might be a bit confusing. What I am looking for are the most efficient energy sources, which are small, relatively safe and transportable. They don't have to be existing technologies, I will be satisfied with theoretical technologies, or ones being developed. It can rely on super-rare and/or super-expensive minerals.

Thanks in advance :).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Batteries are hands-down the most efficient portable energy "source"*. I put "source" in quotes because they are really a storage medium. Anyway, they run at upwards of 98% efficient. Whether they are appropriate for a given application depends on the specifics of the application.

Welcome to PF! Your English is fine.

*Depending on your application, you may be able to use something that pulls energy from the enviroment, like solar panels or a water turbine.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3

berkeman

Batteries would be the most efficient for electrical energy storage, but would flammable liquid (like fuel oil) be the most efficient for generating heat? If I get time, I can figure it out...

5. Jul 9, 2008 #4
    And what if I need lots of energy taking as little space as possible? And of course I am thinking not only of batteries, as all kinds of generators would be good as well.

Once in some book I encountered something like um, nuclear batteries or something. If I remember correctly the idea behind it was that inside some box there was small amount of uranium and somehow it converted radiation to energy. But is such a thing even possible?

Also, I was wondering if there are some minerals (or anything) which while deteriorating/anything generate lots electricity or anything which could be either turned into electricity or used as um, Motor for movement.

Solar Panels would fit as a way for some additional energy but still. Though I heard that when some time ago they discovered the new Blackest material, it can be used in Solar Panels to increase their efficiency. And also, can Solar Panels be cloth? Or like putting some kind Solar Panels on simple Shirt?

ANd Water Turbine won't work as it has to be transportable by a person and work while being transported.

6. Jul 9, 2008 #5

russ_watters

No need: Yes. By a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?