Most efficient way to convert rope movement (KE) to rotational KE?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
narayan821
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I've got a moving rope that turns a shaft, which then turns a generator to create electricity. Please point me to a good resource that guides me to perform this efficiently. I would like to maximize the conversion of kinetic energy of the pulled rope system into rotational kinetic energy of the shaft, and maximize electrical energy output.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think we can answer this unless you describe how the speed of the rope varies with load.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits and russ_watters
narayan821 said:
I've got a moving rope that turns a shaft, which then turns a generator to create electricity. Please point me to a good resource that guides me to perform this efficiently. I would like to maximize the conversion of kinetic energy of the pulled rope system into rotational kinetic energy of the shaft, and maximize electrical energy output.
This is very vague. We need to see a diagram or get a much better description to know what the system is doing. But it seems like it should be trivial to make it very efficient: a good belt/pulley system can run upwards of 95% efficient.

...however, they aren't really dealing in kinetic energy, they are transforming work. There are situations where kinetic energy may be desired, but without knowing what yours is, I can't say if it is one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE, 256bits and jbriggs444
We also need to know the properties of the rope. Resistance of the rope to bending/unbending will be one source of efficiency loss.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:
narayan821 said:
I've got a moving rope that turns a shaft, which then turns a generator to create electricity.
Why are you using a rope? There's a reason that belts and chains are used much more for this type of power transfer application...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE