Most practical specialization in mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation is about finding a practical and hands-on engineering specialization in mechanical that does not involve sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day. The person is looking for a good balance between field work and modeling. Some suggestions mentioned include maintenance engineering, vibrations, and material engineering/science which involve testing and analysis of materials. The person also asks for others' opinions on what makes them happy in the field of engineering.
etotheix
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what is the most practical/hands on engineering specialization in mechanical that would not require someone to stay in front of a computer 8h a day, 40h a week because that is what I've mostly been doing at my internships so far (CFD simulations, excel, tecplot). I am just looking for a good balance that would make me happy, I don't know if other people feel the same way. I don't mind the modeling part, but I would like to go out and investigate problems on the field too.

I was looking at maintenance engineering maybe. I also heard that people working in vibrations run a lot of tests on engines and other components.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also thought about material engineering/material science. Don't that involve a lot of testing of materials and analysis of samples?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, if you don't like CFD, what makes you happy?

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the analysis, design, manufacture, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It involves the use of principles from physics, mathematics, and materials science to develop and improve products and processes.

What is a specialization in mechanical engineering?

A specialization in mechanical engineering refers to a specific area of focus within the broader field. It allows engineers to gain in-depth knowledge and expertise in a particular aspect of mechanical engineering, such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, or materials science.

What is the most practical specialization in mechanical engineering?

The most practical specialization in mechanical engineering may vary depending on individual interests and career goals. However, some popular and highly practical specializations include robotics and automation, HVAC systems, and automotive engineering.

What are the benefits of specializing in mechanical engineering?

Specializing in mechanical engineering can offer several benefits, such as increased job opportunities, higher salaries, and the ability to work on complex and innovative projects. It also allows engineers to focus on a specific area of interest and become experts in that field.

How can I choose the right specialization in mechanical engineering?

To choose the right specialization in mechanical engineering, you should consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research various specializations and their job prospects, and consult with professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of each specialization's requirements and responsibilities.