Transient vibration of an engine

In summary: It's probably closer to steady state than you think. Keep in mind that the engine is completing a full revolution hundreds of times per second, so even very fast throttle transients are pretty slow relative to the engine's performance.
vco
How is the transient vibration of a piston engine usually simulated?

I know that in order to define the vibration loading you need the mass properties and dimensions of the moving components plus the cylinder pressure curve. And of course you need to know the firing order, V-angle (if applicable), etc.

However, since this is a transient case you would in fact need a set of cylinder pressure curves for different engine speeds and throttle positions, right? Depending on the chosen resolution for the engine speed and throttle position that sounds as quite a lot of data to be measured. Are there any industry practices where you utilize clever interpolation and thus avoid having to obtain such a vast number of cylinder pressure curves?

I am not especially experienced regarding engines, but I am very familiar with vibration analysis in general.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vco said:
How is the transient vibration of a piston engine usually simulated?
How do you define transient vibration? Do you mean the instantaneous position?

anorlunda said:
How do you define transient vibration? Do you mean the instantaneous position?
By transient vibration I mean that the engine speed and torque are changing as a function of time, as opposed to steady-state vibration where the engine is being run at a constant speed and torque.

Well, to be exact the instantaneous values for the engine speed and torque are changing in both cases, but I guess you know what I mean.

Last edited:
The simple answer is that this is rarely done and has no well established procedure. As long as nothing breaks in the transient condition, the engine state will soon be different and it did no matter anyway. Even if you know every physical detail about the engine (weights, dimensions, pressure curves, etc), you still do not have enough information until you know the load in comparable detail.

Engineers tend to worry much more about steady state vibrations. This is the motion that causes fatigue damage and also noise. It goes on and on (that's what steady state is all about!), and that is what is damaging and annoying.

Dr.D said:
The simple answer is that this is rarely done and has no well established procedure. As long as nothing breaks in the transient condition, the engine state will soon be different and it did no matter anyway. Even if you know every physical detail about the engine (weights, dimensions, pressure curves, etc), you still do not have enough information until you know the load in comparable detail.

Engineers tend to worry much more about steady state vibrations. This is the motion that causes fatigue damage and also noise. It goes on and on (that's what steady state is all about!), and that is what is damaging and annoying.
I would imagine the procedure is indeed relatively rare.

But what about motorsports, for example Formula One? Surely the teams perform such analyses since the engines are rarely, if ever, running in steady-state conditions and fierce competition requires simulations to be as realistic as possible?

Not being a motorsports fan, I really cannot address the question from experience. But I would suggest that this is one of the least likely places to find such analysis. The details of such an analysis are difficult, tedious, and take a lot of time. Most motorsports are done with "seat of the pants" engineering, not with extended expensive computer analysis. In that arena, there is much more of a "cut and try" approach. If it does not blow up, it must be a success. So again, I doubt that this is done with any frequency at all.

vco said:
I would imagine the procedure is indeed relatively rare.

But what about motorsports, for example Formula One? Surely the teams perform such analyses since the engines are rarely, if ever, running in steady-state conditions and fierce competition requires simulations to be as realistic as possible?
It's probably closer to steady state than you think. Keep in mind that the engine is completing a full revolution hundreds of times per second, so even very fast throttle transients are pretty slow relative to the engine's performance. I'd guess that the most important transient that they simulate is when the engine changes RPM dramatically on a timescale of tens of milliseconds every time the car shifts, but even then, I'd imagine it's more an issue of shock load and momentary extreme load rather than vibration.

Likes JBA

1. What is transient vibration of an engine?

Transient vibration of an engine refers to the temporary or short-term vibrations that occur in an engine during start-up, shut-down, or sudden changes in operating conditions. These vibrations can cause noise, wear and tear, and other potential issues if not properly managed.

2. What causes transient vibration in an engine?

The main causes of transient vibration in an engine include changes in engine speed, load, and torque, as well as mechanical imbalances, misalignments, and uneven combustion. These factors can create sudden and irregular forces that result in vibrations.

3. How does transient vibration affect engine performance?

Transient vibrations can have a negative impact on engine performance by causing increased wear and tear on engine components, reducing fuel efficiency, and potentially leading to engine failure. They can also contribute to increased noise and discomfort for passengers or operators.

4. How can transient vibration be reduced or controlled?

There are several methods for reducing or controlling transient vibration in an engine, including proper engine design and balancing, use of vibration dampeners or isolators, and implementing techniques such as active control or passive control. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address potential sources of transient vibration.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to transient vibration in engines?

While transient vibration can impact engine performance and longevity, it can also pose safety concerns if left unaddressed. Excessive vibrations can cause damage to critical components, leading to potential malfunctions or failures. It is important to properly manage and control transient vibration to ensure safe and reliable engine operation.