Most promising fields in engineering/physics

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, there are several exciting fields within engineering/physics that have the potential for financial profit and entrepreneurship. These include genetic engineering and stem cell work for custom designed human parts, energy delivery and storage using fuel cells, and material science particularly in the area of nanomaterials. Additionally, advancements in materials science have historically been a driving force for new engineering discoveries. Another important area is energy, with a focus on finding clean and renewable sources of electricity such as nuclear power and fusion. Lastly, the increasing digitalization of technology has created a demand for electrical and computer engineers, as well as software developers.
Nikitin
What field would you say is the most exciting in engineering/physics? I'm defining engineering/physics very loosely, so don't worry if your field is more biology than physics or whatever.

So anyway; Which has the most potential for financial profit and entrepreneurship? Which has the most real world applications? Can it can change the way we live our lives? Which holds the potential to redefine our understanding of nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edible underpants.

Caveat: Prognostications aren't worth anything. If I really knew what I was talking about, I'd be extremely wealthy.

I am enamored by two things: First, genetic engineering and stem cell work has enormous possibilities. The notion of custom designed human parts is already being demonstrated. With stem cells, there are even more possibilities.

Second, I'm fascinated by energy delivery and storage using fuel cells. The latter is a short term win. Methane fuel cells exist and are already in use, though they're not particularly economical. However new catalysts could make these things very feasible for the average home-owner. The other side of this is that if we can figure out how to store energy economically, we can take much more advantage of solar and wind technologies.

Again, those are the things that fascinate me. This and other opinions are worth what you paid for them (nothing).

Likes Ibrahim Hany
Don't worry about the worth of your opinion - this is just for banter. Indeed, I'm surprised stuff like this isn't a major topic on this forum. Sadly, it's almost like people here are weary of discussing the future/speculating just because they could be wrong.

Anyway I am only in my 2nd year, but I think material science, especially nanomaterials, can open up allot of possibilities. Anyone knows about it? I Haven't really thought much about this though.

Nikitin said:
[...]I think material science, especially nanomaterials, can open up allot of possibilities. Anyone knows about it? I Haven't really thought much about this though.

Most of the interesting developments in Engineering came about because of the availability of new materials or the discovery of new properties of materials. For example, the vulcanization process lead to many new uses for rubber. The discovery of how to manipulate semiconductors lead to many new developments in electronics. The use of distillation and catalytic cracking on materials such as crude oil or pitch lead to more reliable and powerful engines.

So the answer is yes, methods and discoveries in materials science is a leading predictor of where new engineering discoveries will come from. Sadly for the researchers, this sort of development can easily span an entire career of work before it is widely accepted.

Likes 1 person
Anything dealing with energy. We desperately need to find a new source of generating electricity that is both clean and renewable. Nuclear power is an option but fission reactors are limited by finite resources, although there are some designs that really have the possibility to provide virtually limitless supply of power ( thorium) and then there is of course fusion. If we can get fusion to work we essentially have the sun on earth, unlimited clean energy. Electrical engineering is also big, everything is being miniaturized and becoming digital which means lots of work for electrical and computer engineers, as well as software developers

Software.

1. What are the most promising fields in engineering?

The most promising fields in engineering currently include artificial intelligence and machine learning, renewable energy and sustainability, biotechnology and biomedical engineering, robotics, and aerospace engineering.

2. How do these fields impact society?

These fields have a significant impact on society by improving technology and creating solutions to global challenges. For example, artificial intelligence and machine learning have led to advancements in healthcare and transportation, while renewable energy and sustainability address environmental concerns.

3. What skills are necessary for success in these fields?

Some essential skills for success in these fields include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, creativity and innovation, project management and teamwork, and a solid understanding of mathematics and scientific principles.

4. What opportunities are available in these fields?

There are numerous opportunities available in these fields, including research and development positions in various industries, consulting and engineering firms, and government agencies. Additionally, many universities offer graduate programs in these fields for those interested in pursuing further education.

5. What are the future prospects for these fields?

The future prospects for these fields are highly promising, as advancements in technology and the need for sustainable solutions continue to grow. These fields offer a wide range of opportunities for individuals to make a significant impact and contribute to the betterment of society.