Which field has the most potential for the future?

In summary: But I'm open to other opinions!In summary, the field of bioengineering has a lot of potential, especially with genetic engineering. It's a field on the rise, with scattered competition and up-and-coming disruptive technologies. However, a PhD in engineering will teach you skills that a PhD in physics won't, and it may be a better route than industry experience + MBA.
Wminus
Hey all,

I'm a final year MEng student in engineering physics (a very broad degree) at a recognized Scandinavian technical university. I'm deciding what to do with my life, and my personal dream is to get into business in the long term, preferably in something high-tech that's growing (hopefully even do a startup). In connection to this I'm thinking about doing a (3-4 year) PhD at a very famous European university, and deciding on which field: Biophysics, photonics, computational science or bioengineering.

Right now I'm leaning towards PhD in bioengineering. In the past decades biology has become very well integrated with computational methods, principles of engineering, rigorous physics, and this has bred new and exciting subfields like neural engineering, artificial organs, genetical engineering, biomonitoring devices (and phone apps) and so on. It's a field on the rise IMO, and if there's one thing any person would pay allot of money for, it's their own and their loved ones' healths. So you got a huge market, scattered competition and up-and-coming disruptive technologies.

In addition, a PhD program in engineering will teach you allot of soft skills that a PhD in physics wont.

What do you guys think? Which field has the largest potential for the future? Do I have ground-contact or am I being delusional?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My 2 cents:
I personally feel that bioengineering will be a very exciting and satisfying field in the future -- especially if you include genetic engineering. I am overwhelmed by the thought of all the robotic and artificial devices (mind controlled?) and the possibility of designing genetic cures for ailments of all sorts.

PS. I jumped the gun and wrote the above before I even read your second paragraph. I totally agree with what you said. Whether there are better fields or not, this one should be very good.

PPS. Regardless of the money involved (I have never been very driven by $), it would be nice to be in a field that is so rewarding on a personal level. I am a sucker for the youtube videos of people hearing for the first time with Cochlear implants.

Last edited:
Likes Wminus
FactChecker said:
My 2 cents:
I personally feel that bioengineering will be a very exciting and satisfying field in the future -- especially if you include genetic engineering. I am overwhelmed by the thought of all the robotic and artificial devices (mind controlled?) and the possibility of designing genetic cures for ailments of all sorts.

PS. I jumped the gun and wrote the above before I even read your second paragraph. I totally agree with what you said. Whether there are better fields or not, this one should be very good.

PPS. Regardless of the money involved (I have never been very driven by $), it would be nice to be in a field that is so rewarding on a personal level. I am a sucker for the youtube videos of people hearing for the first time with Cochlear implants.

Yeah I completely agree with you, and I also think neural implants is very exciting, just imagine being able to permanently cure blindness (except in cases of severe brain damage), or artificially enhance cognition!

To be honest my main goal is to do something that matters in our society and become a businessman, and I think a PhD might be a better, if riskier, route than industry experience + MBA

Likes FactChecker

1. What is the main difference between a PhD in physics and a PhD in engineering?

The main difference between a PhD in physics and a PhD in engineering is the focus of the research. A PhD in physics typically involves theoretical and experimental research in the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while a PhD in engineering focuses on solving practical problems and designing new technologies.

2. Can someone with a PhD in physics work in the field of engineering?

Yes, someone with a PhD in physics can work in the field of engineering. While the two fields have different focuses, there is overlap in the skills and knowledge required. Many physicists work in engineering-related industries, such as aerospace, electronics, and energy.

3. Which field has better job prospects, physics or engineering?

Both fields have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the specific job market and industry. In general, engineering tends to have more job opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, technology, and construction, while physics may have more opportunities in research and academia.

4. Is a PhD in physics more difficult to obtain than a PhD in engineering?

The difficulty of obtaining a PhD in either field can vary depending on the individual and their research topic. In general, both degrees require dedication, hard work, and a strong understanding of mathematics and scientific principles. However, the research methods and expectations may differ between the two fields.

5. Can I pursue a PhD in both physics and engineering simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue a joint PhD program in both physics and engineering, but it may be challenging and time-consuming. These programs typically require a strong background in both fields and a well-defined research project that combines elements from both disciplines. It is important to carefully consider the feasibility and potential benefits of pursuing a joint PhD program before making a decision.