Most thorough physics refresher?

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter Anonymous User
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a Calculus-based physics book is the best option for someone who wants to learn more about physics and the newest curriculum.
Anonymous User
Hi, new here.
what textbook would be best to use? 11th edition College Physics? is there any books that have a lot of questions and problems and they walk you through it? what would be the best way to train to solve these physics problems in a short amount of time off the top of your head?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends, what is your physics background? If you have a PhD in physics who has taken a year off, the answer will be different than if you are a middle school student who wants to learn more.

Likes Demystifier, Anonymous User and jtbell
Dishsoap said:
Depends, what is your physics background? If you have a PhD in physics who has taken a year off, the answer will be different than if you are a middle school student who wants to learn more.
about five years experience with all the undergrad lower division courses at non-university. then about five years no academics, memory faded.
original textbooks look familiar like newspaper but problems still hard to solve. I've copied a lot of the sections into my own words and going through a lot of the problems, but I cannot recall any of it. i know there are a lot of free mock classes dedicated to making ordinary online users physics literate.
I am looking for a book that is geared towards the newest physics curriculum of educating people, but I know just a Calculus based physics book does not cover the specifics with fields and deeper math approaches for everything.

If you can't do the elementary problems, you will not be able to do something with "deeper math approaches to everything". If afraid you are asking for something that doesn't exist to enable you to do something impossible.

Likes Anonymous User
If you remember calculus, you maybe try Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics. Topic explanations are brief, but well written. Exercises can be challenging. Almost everything is derived.

Going through the 3 book series will allow you to jump to upper division books with no problems.

What you are asking for is unrealistic. You may need to approach physics as if it was your first time.

Likes Anonymous User
Anonymous User said:
Hi, new here.
what textbook would be best to use? 11th edition College Physics? is there any books that have a lot of questions and problems and they walk you through it? what would be the best way to train to solve these physics problems in a short amount of time off the top of your head?

Anonymous User said:
about five years experience with all the undergrad lower division courses at non-university. then about five years no academics, memory faded.
original textbooks look familiar like newspaper but problems still hard to solve. I've copied a lot of the sections into my own words and going through a lot of the problems, but I cannot recall any of it. i know there are a lot of free mock classes dedicated to making ordinary online users physics literate.
I am looking for a book that is geared towards the newest physics curriculum of educating people, but I know just a Calculus based physics book does not cover the specifics with fields and deeper math approaches for everything.

But what are you doing all of this for? There is a different approach if you are simply doing this for fun and for your own knowledge, versus doing this because you wish to be up to speed for some academic or employment purpose. The former doesn't require you to be properly prepared, whereas the latter does and will require us knowing the exact target that you are shooting for.

Zz.

Likes Anonymous User
Thanks for the input. I think I am looking for the physics book that is being distributed and taught by the most schools currently. I hope this math book will be good to help with first impression pitfalls when looking at a physics problem. there is the science and building a math function out of a word problem scenario.

Anonymous User said:
Thanks for the input. I think I am looking for the physics book that is being distributed and taught by the most schools currently. I hope this math book will be good to help with first impression pitfalls when looking at a physics problem. there is the science and building a math function out of a word problem scenario.

Remember, most used does not usually mean the best.
Alonso and Finn are really good books that are not used anymore. I believe, its mostly do to students poor math background.
Really neat derivation. Everything is build from scratch.

If you want a decent calculus book...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMPZBGA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Very good book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/053439339X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This book is ok. Use it for problems... I would read the explanations in Thomas, then do problems in stewart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L3UO2A/?tag=pfamazon01-20
My favorite calculus book. A forgotten gem. Great balance between theory and applied. Really neat coverage of topics. Explains the Nested Interval Postulate, and how it is equivalent to some other mathematical statements.

This book may be a little hard, but you will become good at the application of calculus to physics problems.

11 editions? If they can't get it right by the second edition, they should just give up.

There aren't 11 editions because of constant advances in pedagogy or great new discoveries in freshman physics, there are 11 editions to reduce competition from used book sales. Your original textbooks are just fine.

1. What topics are covered in a thorough physics refresher?

A thorough physics refresher typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and atomic and nuclear physics. It may also touch on more advanced topics like quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Who can benefit from a thorough physics refresher?

Anyone who has previously studied physics and wants to review the fundamentals or improve their understanding can benefit from a thorough physics refresher. It can also be helpful for students who are about to take a physics course or professionals who need to use physics in their work.

3. How long does a thorough physics refresher typically take?

The length of a thorough physics refresher can vary depending on the individual's pace and the depth of the review. It could range from a few days to several weeks, depending on the amount of time dedicated to studying each day.

4. Is a thorough physics refresher enough to prepare for a test or exam?

A thorough physics refresher can be a great way to review and refresh your knowledge before a test or exam, but it is not a substitute for regular studying and practice. It is important to also familiarize yourself with the specific topics and format of the test or exam.

5. Are there any resources or materials that can supplement a thorough physics refresher?

There are many resources and materials available that can supplement a thorough physics refresher, such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and your learning style.