1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 1 dimension easy question?

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    a car starts from rest travels for 5.0s with a uniform acceleration of + 1.5m/s^2. The driver then applies the brakes, causing uniform acceleration of -2.0m/s^2. If the brakes are applies for 3.0s (a) how fast is the car going atthe end of the braking period and b how far has it gone

I have already done part a and i have the answers for both parts i just dont know the steps in approaching part b
    the answer to b is 32.2m
    please help! thank you :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    When it's speeding up, it starts at 0 m/s and after the speedup is at 7.5 m/s. That's an average of 3.75 m/s for 5 seconds, so the distance traveled during this part is 18.75 m.

When it begins to brake, it's going at 7.5 m/s, and then after the braking is at 1.5 m/s. That's an average of 4.5 m/s during this period of 3 seconds, so during the braking it moves 13.5 meters.

The sum is 32.25 meters.

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3
    but what equation did you use?

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4
    x = t (v_i + v_f) / 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook