Motion in the field (electric, magnetic) questions

In summary, the conducting block will move up along the magnetic field and the induced charges will be separated.
385sk117

Homework Statement

Why can't i upload the image file here? anyway i'll try to explain it in words

One block of conductor is positioned in the magnetic field (into page) and the block is moving up with certain velocity. What will be the separation of the induced charges?

2. Two current flowing wires are positioned parallel to each other (1 m apart). They are carrying the current of I in the same direction. If there is point P which is midway between two wires and the magnetic field strength experience by at point P due to one wire is B, then what is the magnitude of magnetic field strength on Point P due to both wires?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I thought that since when i use the flemings right hand rule my middle finger points left side so left side of conducting block is negatively charged and right hand side is positively charged but the answer is just opposite. Isnt the direction where the middle finger is pointing is the direction of the current? and the direction of current is from positive to negative?

2. As the current is flowing in the same direction, the N pole and S pole of each wire would face the different pole and that's why they are not canceling each other out so i tought that the magnitude of magnetic field strength would be doubled, but the answer was Zero

Thankyou for reading and sorry for my poor English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'll talk about problem number 2.

So, we have two parallel wires 1 m apart. The currents are in the same direction. We can use the right hand rule for currents in a wire to determine the direction of the magnetic field from each wire on the point in-between.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

The right-hand rule for currents in a long wire says that if you put your thumb along the wire pointing in the direction of the current flow, then your fingers will curl around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field. Therefore, you can determine from this that the magnetic field due to one of the wires is pointing one way, and the magnetic field due to the other wire is pointing the opposite way. Therefore, they cancel each other out because they have the same magnitude (they are the same distance away from the point in question) and opposite directions.

So, the magnitude of the magnetic field at that point is zero when we take into consideration both wires.

--l-----l--
--l-----l--
N-l-S-N-l-S
--l-----l--
--l-----l--

(Please ignore the dotted horizontal line it had to be there to draw it properly)
Doenst it be something like this when the current on both wire is flowing at the same direction? I can understand that if i use the right hand grip rule the magnetic field act opposite but i think what i have drawn here is also right...and as magnetic field is not canceling out between the two wires if my drawing is right...From where I'm wrong?

inbetween the two wires, one is south and one is north... that's two vectors pointing in opposite directions.. Therefore, they DO cancel each other out :)

Oh i think i got it. Thanks alot

You're welcome.

anyone question 1?

The diagram for question 1 is like this
l <- shows the direction of motion of conducting block
x <- shows that the direction of magnetic field is into the page

...... l
...... l
...... l
xxxxxxxxxxxxx l xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx conducting xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx block xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if the conducting block is moving up like that (it doesn't look like but it is straight line) under the magnetic filed which is go into the page, what will be the separation of induced charges? will it be

+...-
+block -
+...-
+...-

or

-...+
-block+
-...+
-...+

?

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. In other words, electric fields exist stationary charges, while magnetic fields exist in moving charges.

2. Can electric and magnetic fields exist independently of each other?

Yes, electric and magnetic fields can exist independently of each other. However, in some cases, an electric field can create a magnetic field and vice versa.

3. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other by exerting a force on charged particles. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric and magnetic fields?

The unit of measurement for electric fields is volts per meter (V/m), while the unit for magnetic fields is teslas (T).

5. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of charged particles?

Electric and magnetic fields can affect the motion of charged particles by exerting a force on them. The direction of the force depends on the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields relative to each other and to the motion of the particle.