Motion in two or three dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum launch speed for a projectile launched from ground level with no air resistance to avoid passing through a temperature inversion layer at a height h. The solution involves using the equations h(t)=Yi+Vit-(1/2)gt2 and PE=mgh, KE=(1/2)mv^2 and applying conservation of energy to find the maximum launch speed, which is given by v=(2gh)^(1/2). There is also a discussion about solving the problem using an optimization method and the simplicity of using conservation of energy.
Dekoy

Homework Statement

A projectile is being launched from ground level with no air resistance. You want to avoid having it enter a temperature inversion layer in the atmosphere a height h above the ground.(a) What is the maximum launch speed you could give this projectile if you shot it straight up?Express your answer in terms of h and g.

Homework Equations

According to me the equation that applies is h(t)=Yi+Vit-(1/2)gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost in this problem I tried doing it as an optimization problem from Calc. I but it just didn't make sense. The other thing I did was solve for Vi in the above equation but it din't give me anything close to the answer in the book I got Vi=(h+4.905t2)/t and the answer in the back is (2gh)(1/2). Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it from a conservation of energy perspective, how does the initial kinetic energy relate to the maximum height?

Ok I think I got it, can someone please let me know if this is right or not. This is what I did.

1.(Eq.a)h=Vt-(1/2)gt^2 and from a previous equation found (Eq.b)t=(2h/g)^(1/2)

2.From Eq.a V=[h+(1/2)gt^2]/t

3.Plugging (b) into new (a) gives V=2h/(2h/g)^(1/2)

4.Rationalizing gives V=[2h(2h/g)^(1/2)]/(2h/g)

5.And after solving the division V=g*[(2h/g)^(1/2)]

6.And by properties of exponents V=(2hg)^(1/2) which is the answer in the back of the book.

Any comments will be appreciated in case I did something wrong, Thanks.

Yeah, no, that looks right. But seriously you should really think about this in terms of conservation of energy. It will take 2 lines, max.

Yeah I did it the other way and is way simpler using conservation of energy, oh well now I have two ways of doing it, thanks for the help.

1. a)PE=mgh b)KE=(1/2)mv^2

2. By conservation of energy PE=KE so mgh=(1/2)mv^2

3. m divides out on both sides and you get gh=(1/2)v^2

4. Therefore v=(2gh)^(1/2) which is what i got the other way but way shorter.

I would have never thought about energy being related in this problem on my own thanks zhermes.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between motion in two and three dimensions?

In two dimensions, motion occurs along a flat surface, such as a plane, while in three dimensions, motion occurs in a three-dimensional space. This means that in two dimensions, objects can only move left/right and up/down, while in three dimensions, they can also move forward/backward.

2. How is velocity calculated in two or three dimensions?

In two dimensions, velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. In three dimensions, velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account direction, while distance does not.

4. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in two dimensions under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola, with a constant horizontal velocity and a changing vertical velocity due to the force of gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect motion in two or three dimensions?

Air resistance, or friction from the air, can affect the motion of objects in two or three dimensions by slowing them down and changing their trajectory. In two dimensions, air resistance can cause objects to deviate from a straight path, while in three dimensions, it can cause objects to spiral or curve in their motion.