1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Projectile motion- equation problem

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is launched horizontally with an initial velocity v0 from a height h. If it is assumed that there is no air resistance, which of the following expressions represents the vertical trajectory of the projectile? (A) h–gv0^2/2x^2 (B) h–gv0^2x^2 (C) h-gx^2/2v0^2 (D) h-gx^2/v0^2

2. Relevant equations
    d=vi*t+1/2a*t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    t=d/v; a=g; d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)^2-->d=vi*t+(gx^2/2v^2)--->why is this subtracted from h? Also where does d=vi*t go?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation writing skills are a bit funky, so I might be off base here, for the one question "why is this subtracted from h" draw a picture using vanilla Cartesian coordinates. What direction is the acceleration pointing in? Explain what you're thinking/why you're doing what you're doing as well.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are on the right lines but you should take more care writing equations. You appear to be using d for both the horizontal displacement (in the equation t=d/v) and the vertical displacement (eg in the equation d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)2)

The object starts from the position (0, h). If you put x=0 into your equation does it give the answer y=h ?

Vi is the initial vertical velocity. What is the initial vertical velocity if the object is "launched horizontally"?

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4
    is x the horizontal range of your projectile?

UchihaClan13

6. Feb 3, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It would be the horizontal coordinate at an arbitrary point in the trajectory.

7. Feb 3, 2016 #6
    Okay so all we need is an equation of trajectory for the projectile or rather the vertical motion of the projectile
    Right???

UchihaClan13

8. Feb 3, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The trajectory is what it asks for. I don't know why it specifies vertical.
    Vertical motion could just mean y as a function of t.

9. Feb 3, 2016 #8
    Yes nor do i
    A projectile has a general trajectory which has both y and x coordinates in it,at a certain instant of time "t"

UchihaClan13

10. Feb 3, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The term trajectory refers to the shape of the path, without consideration of time.

11. Feb 3, 2016 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps they mention vertical trajectory so you write an equation for y(x) rather x(y) ? Although it's a bit obvious they mean y(x) as they give the answer equation in the problem statement.

12. Feb 4, 2016 #11
    i figured the whole thing out
    It's easy

13. Feb 4, 2016 #12
    did you get an equation connecting y,x,g and v0?

14. Feb 4, 2016 #13
    It's easy to see that if x=0 y=h(for the equation of trajectory)
    here I consider the point from which the particle is projected as my origin and work accordingly
    Now as there's a term for H-something in the options,one can clearly see that the height or the y-coordinate is assumed from the ground to the corresponding x-coordinate
    Now all you need is to subtract your equation of trajectory from the initial y-coordinate(which is?/) and voila
    You have your answer!
    :)

UchihaClan13

15. Feb 4, 2016 #14

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forum rules discourage just giving the answer. That's why we ask leading questions of the OP.

16. Feb 4, 2016 #15
    I didn't give the OP the answer
    I just gave him a hint

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted