Motion in two or three dimensions

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a car to travel across a river and go up and down to the height of the opposite bank. To solve this, one needs to consider the vertical and horizontal components of the initial speed and use the equations Vx = V0*cos(53,0) and Vy = V0*sin(53,0) - g*t.
Faka
Hi. I am lost in this problem. Could someone tell me what to do. How to start with the problem?

Attachments

• Motion in two or three dimensions.jpg
    Motion in two or three dimensions.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Faka said:
Hi. I am lost in this problem. Could someone tell me what to do. How to start with the problem?

Start by considering the vertical and horizontal components of the initial speed.

Which equation do I need to use?

Faka said:
Which equation do I need to use?

One of the components is Vsin(53) the other is Vcos(53)

Vx = V0*cos(53,0)

Vy = V0*sin(53,0)

Faka said:
Vx = V0*cos(53,0)

Vy = V0*sin(53,0)

Now you have to use them.

One will tell you how long it takes to get across the river, the other will let you calculate how long it takes the car to go up in the iar, then come back down again to the height of the far bank, and those two times have to be the same.

I have just seen in my book, that the last equations needs to be:

Vy = V0*sin(53,0) - g*t

Is that true?

So I get these two equation, that I need to use as you said:

Vx = V0*cos(53,0)

Vy = V0*sin(53,0) - g*t

Related to Motion in two or three dimensions

1. What is the difference between motion in two dimensions and motion in three dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to movement along two axes, usually represented by a horizontal and vertical axis. This is also known as motion in a plane. On the other hand, motion in three dimensions involves movement along three axes, typically represented by a horizontal, vertical, and depth axis. This is also known as motion in space.

2. How is motion in two dimensions calculated?

Motion in two dimensions is typically calculated using the equations of kinematics, which involve variables such as distance, time, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in two dimensions at any given time.

3. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in two dimensions where an object is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be calculated using the equations of kinematics, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does motion in three dimensions affect objects in space?

Motion in three dimensions has a significant impact on the behavior and movement of objects in space. It allows for objects to move in all directions and navigate through complex environments. Understanding motion in three dimensions is crucial for space exploration and satellite navigation.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion in two and three dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions can be seen in everyday activities such as throwing a ball, driving a car, or playing a video game. Motion in three dimensions is evident in activities such as flying a plane, diving into a pool, or orbiting around the Earth in a spacecraft. These types of motion also play a crucial role in the functioning of machines and technology, such as airplanes and robots.