Motion of an Iron Block in Water

In summary, an iron block with a mass of 1 kg is suspended on a spring with a spring constant of 130 N/m. When the block is displaced by 10 cm and released, it is merged into a vessel with 10 liters of water. The mass of water in the container is .127 kg. The color of the bear does not affect this problem. Age is not mentioned in this conversation.
mattmannmf
An iron block of the mass 1 kg is suspended on a spring of the spring constant 130 N/m , and merged into a vessel with 10 liters of water. The mass is displaced by 10 cm from its equilibrium position, and released.

a. What is the mass of water in the container in kg?

I think iron density is 7860... so i solved for volume which is 1/7860=block..then figured out the mass in water by using volume* density of water (1000)= .127. then subtracted that to find the new mass... but it isn't correct, not sure what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Surreal.
And what color was the bear?

ummm...i really don't think color matters in this type of problem (if so its not THAT advance...)

mattmannmf said:
ummm...i really don't think color matters in this type of problem (if so its not THAT advance...)

How old are you?

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

What is the motion of an iron block in water?

The motion of an iron block in water can vary depending on the specific conditions, but generally it will experience buoyancy and may sink, float, or remain suspended in the water depending on its density and the density of the water.

What factors affect the motion of an iron block in water?

The motion of an iron block in water is primarily affected by its density and the density of the water. Other factors that may come into play include the shape and size of the block, the temperature of the water, and the presence of any external forces such as currents or waves.

Why does an iron block sink in water?

An iron block will sink in water if its density is greater than the density of the water. This is because the downward force of gravity on the block is greater than the upward buoyant force exerted by the water, causing the block to sink.

Can an iron block float in water?

Yes, it is possible for an iron block to float in water if its density is less than the density of the water. This means that the upward buoyant force exerted by the water is greater than the downward force of gravity, allowing the block to float on the surface of the water.

How can the motion of an iron block in water be calculated?

The motion of an iron block in water can be calculated using the principles of buoyancy and the specific densities of the block and the water. This calculation can help determine whether the block will sink, float, or remain suspended in the water.