Motion Problem: Struggling with Angle w.r.t Wall

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Garen
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Motion Problem!

Homework Statement



1znxspd.png


The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, so I got number one (6.36904) but I'm having real trouble getting the angle w.r.t the wall. At first I thought of taking the t (from
horizontal_displacement_equation.png
)[/URL] then multiplying it by the acceleration to get the y component of the velocity. I then thought of taking the inverse tangent of (5.5/Vy). But I am not sure if it is right. Did I do something wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Yes, you do want something like tan(angle) = vx / vy. This gives you the angle between your vector and the vertical direction (the wall is vertical).
 


You need the x and y components of the velocity and then you can use your tangent method.
 


Kurdt said:
You need the x and y components of the velocity and then you can use your tangent method.

That's what I was trying to do, but is my method of getting the y component of the velocity (listed above) right? Or was I supposed to use another method?
 


You'll have to use some kinematic equations. You need to find the time it takes to hit the wall and then the speed it will be traveling in the vertical direction due to that acceleration after that time. If you got the first part correct then you should already know both components surely?