Motion with constant acceleration problem

In summary, the two particles collide in the middle of the slippery slope, but the lower particle needs to have a speed of 5 m/s in order to collide with the upper particle.
flanders

Homework Statement

Hi. I've had some trouble solving this exercise, and I simply can't find the right solution. Hopefully you might help me out...?

Here's the task:

A plane (not airplane) has an inclination that allows a particle sliding on the slippery slope, and has an acceleration of 4.00 m / s ^ 2 The sloping surface is 1.28 m long.
The task:

Particle (V01) will be sent straight up the inclined plane with an initial speed of 5.00 m /s. Another particle is released at the same time without starting speed from the top of the inclined plane. See figure (Particle 1 is the red dot, particle 2 is the green one)

1. Where will the particles collide?
2. What kind of speed must the lower particle have if both particles were to collided in the middle of the slippery slope?

Homework Equations

X = X0 + V0t + (1/2)at^2
V = V0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

In my mind, I think that both time and where they collide must be the same. Therefore X(particle1) = X(particle 2)

I've tried to solve it like this, particle 1 to the left, particle 2 to the right:

X0 + Vot + (1/2)at^2 = X0 + Vot + (1/2)at^2

This will leave me with a time, let's call it T. To make sure that it's the correct answer, I've tried to put T into both equations separately, to check if they collide at the same X. As you've probably understood, they don't.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
flanders said:
I've tried to solve it like this, particle 1 to the left, particle 2 to the right:

X0 + Vot + (1/2)at^2 = X0 + Vot + (1/2)at^2

But the particles are not starting with the same Vo and X0. You need to put your given data for each particle into the appropriate places to form the required equation.

Okay, here is my solution:

Particle 1:
a = -4
v0 = 5
x0 = 0

Particle 2:
a = 4
v0 = 0
x0 = 1,28

Therefore;

Particle 1 to the left, particle 2 is on the right:

0 + 5t + 0,5*(-4)t^2 = 1,28 + 0t + 0,5*4t^2

5t - 2t^2 = 2t + 1,28

-4t^2 + 5t - 1,28 = 0

This leaves me with t = 0,36 or t = 0,89.

If I then put the t into X=X0 + V0t + 0,5at^2 to find the X, the result seems to be out of range...

Help? :)

Particle 1:
a = -4 ---> acceleration is leftwards. Okay.
v0 = 5 ---> inital velocity is rightwards. Okay.
x0 = 0 ---> starting at origin. Okay.

Particle 2:
a = 4 ---> acceleration is rightwards! Oops!
v0 = 0 ---> initial velocity is zero. Okay.
x0 = 1,28 ---> starting position, to the right of origin. Okay.

Oh my! :redface:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You don't know how confused I was over this 'easy' task... God bless you!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a motion with constant acceleration problem?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a motion with constant acceleration problem is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I determine the displacement of an object in a motion with constant acceleration problem?

To determine the displacement of an object in a motion with constant acceleration problem, you can use the formula x = vit + 1/2at^2, where x is displacement, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

3. Can the velocity of an object change in a motion with constant acceleration problem?

Yes, the velocity of an object can change in a motion with constant acceleration problem. The velocity changes because the object is constantly accelerating, either speeding up or slowing down.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a motion with constant acceleration problem?

In a motion with constant acceleration problem, speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is changing its position in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. How does the acceleration affect the motion of an object in a motion with constant acceleration problem?

The acceleration in a motion with constant acceleration problem affects the motion of an object by determining how quickly the object's velocity changes. If the acceleration is positive, the object will speed up, and if the acceleration is negative, the object will slow down.