Mounting big-screen TV on wall bracket

In summary, the Samsung TV is wobbling and the mount might be the problem. The TV has a lip on the bottom edge and the mount doesn't hit it, so maybe cutting down the mounting bars will fix the problem.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have a Samsung 42" similar to this one:
http://www.hotchickshotpicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/samsung-42-inch-tv.jpg
except that of course mine doesn't show sports.

I've mounted it on a wall support but the TV does not seem stable. I can grab it and wobble it. The wall support is not the problem; it is solid as a rock, the weak point seems to be the mount points in the TV itself. The wall support connnectors go right up to the plastic backing of the TV and screw firmly into the metal superstructure inside the TV. But when I go to tilt the TV the whyole plasic back bends as if the TV's going to pull right off.

I don't understand how the TV can be connected to the metal superstructure and yet still wobble. The only thing I can think of is that the TV superstructure itself is actually solid as a rock, but that the plastic shell of the TV (including the sides where I grab it) is overly flexible.

If it were possible, I'd simply tilt the TV by grabbing the wall supports. That would work perfectly except that they are well-behind the TV, almost unreachable.

Should my TV not be solid? Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Should my TV not be solid? Advice?

It doesn't matter. If it does, use Jesus tape.

Don't you have tension adjustment provisions in the pivot points of the bracket?

I had that, the mount came with a metal plate (12x15") that screwed onto the TV mounting holes and then this screwed to the wall bracket.
The plate was purely to stiffen the TV, you could mount the brackets directly to the TV holes but then the TV case would flex when you tilted it.

mgb_phys said:
I had that, the mount came with a metal plate (12x15") that screwed onto the TV mounting holes and then this screwed to the wall bracket.
The plate was purely to stiffen the TV, you could mount the brackets directly to the TV holes but then the TV case would flex when you tilted it.
Yeah, this might be the key. There are half-inch nylon spacers between the TV and the mounting bars. I have to use these spacers because the TV has a lip on the bottom edge and the spacers are needed to clear it. Maybe if I cut down the length of the mounting bars so that they don't hit the lip then I won't need the spacers, and that'll make the thing rigid.

1. How do I determine the appropriate wall bracket for my big-screen TV?

The first step in choosing a wall bracket for your big-screen TV is to determine the VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) pattern of your TV. This can usually be found in the TV's manual or by measuring the distance between the mounting holes on the back of the TV. Once you have this measurement, you can select a wall bracket that is compatible with your TV's VESA pattern.

2. Do I need to hire a professional to mount my big-screen TV on the wall bracket?

While it is possible to mount a TV on a wall bracket yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional for safety reasons. A professional will have the necessary tools and experience to ensure the TV is securely mounted and will not fall off the wall.

3. How high should I mount my big-screen TV on the wall bracket?

The ideal height for mounting a TV on a wall bracket is at eye level when seated. This will provide the best viewing experience and prevent strain on your neck. However, the height may vary depending on the size of the TV and the height of your furniture.

4. Can I mount a big-screen TV on any type of wall?

It is possible to mount a TV on various types of walls, such as drywall, concrete, or brick. However, it is important to ensure that the wall can support the weight of the TV and the wall bracket. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional or refer to the TV's manual for weight restrictions.

5. Can I still access the ports and cables on my TV once it is mounted on the wall bracket?

Most wall brackets allow for some degree of tilt and swivel, which means you should still be able to access the ports and cables on your TV even after it is mounted. However, it is important to check the specifications of the wall bracket to ensure it has the necessary features to allow for easy access to the ports and cables.