Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Move a large amount of rocks from one place to another

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    I am looking to move a large amount of rocks from one place to another. I was thinking of making a sleeve out of a strong plastic that was at a 90 degree angle. Then load the rocks on. The challenge is to move the sleeve. It only needs to go about 6 feet. The rocks will weigh about 100 pounds. I was thinking of putting wheels on the front of the sleeve where the 90 degree angle meet and sort of doing a wheel barrel thing or maybe putting those sliders that people use to move furniture and dragging it the 6 feet. Any ideas on the best way to move this sleeve with rocks in it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Could you post a sketch of what you are wanting to do?

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3
    I attached a word doc but basically just imaging a wall and draw a line against the wall that goes down to the floor and then out from the wall about 3 feet. The rocks would sit in it. I need to pull this 90 degree product I will make out of Plastic ( I think ) away from the wall.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 27, 2017 #4

berkeman

I'm not able to open the Word document -- it says it's corrupt. Can you convert it to PDF to Upload? You can use PrimoPDF or other free converter software to do it. Or just paste it into Paint and save it as a JPG file...

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5
    45ca04b8-8229-4284-a0a2-6577667c1534.jpg

7. Mar 27, 2017 #6
    This is what I need to move. It will be on cement. I was thinking a wheel at the corner where the lines meet or putting those sliders that people use to move furniture along the bottom of the bottom line and dragging it.

8. Mar 27, 2017 #7

berkeman

Can you just tilt it up onto a couple Mover's Dollys? How wide is it? What kind of ground do you need to move it over? (dirt, grass, cement, smooth/rough?)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31g+wXwC-PL._SY355_.jpg
    31g%2BwXwC-PL._SY355_.jpg

9. Mar 27, 2017 #8
    I need to move it over cement. I need the bottom part to be as flat as possible. We want to sweep the rocks on to it.

10. Mar 27, 2017 #9

RonL

Gold Member

From what I seem to understand about all that has been said, you need something like a coal shovel or snow scoop ? anything that can be swept onto the sleeve should be small enough to be scooped with a flat shovel of some type. :smile:

11. Mar 27, 2017 #10
    The process that they are using is a large truck that will push the rocks onto the sleeve, almost like when a car gets tons of snow pushed on it from a plow. We want to have something under it before it gets pushed on to it, so taking the car snow example, we would need to move the snow after it gets piled on.

12. Mar 27, 2017 #11

berkeman

I still say a picture or two would be of help...

13. Mar 27, 2017 #12
    I'm sorry, I don't have a picture. We have not made the product yet. We are just fleshing out ideas.

14. Mar 27, 2017 #13

berkeman

15. Mar 27, 2017 #14

berkeman

Or even a Google Earth screenshot of one of the typical places that you will be using this setup to work...

16. Mar 27, 2017 #15
  17. Mar 27, 2017 #16
    We want to move something like this but a much smaller amount. We want to have something under it and something against it so when we pull the platform on the bottom of it, the rock pile would move to a different location.. Keep in mind the thing we are making would be a 90 degree angle so it has a bottom and a back to brace the rocks.

18. Mar 27, 2017 #17

berkeman

19. Mar 27, 2017 #18
    Yeah, that is a way to go, but we were looking to keep costs down. We just wanted to build a simple platform or some sort and find the best way to move the platform while keeping it flat if we could. I thought you physics people would have a good physics trick like a pulley or something that the average person would not think of.

20. Mar 27, 2017 #19

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about a sled? You could lay two rails between A and B and just pull the sled over them with a suitable weight of rocks. A winch on a Jeep could provide the muscle.
    This is a bit like building the ancient pyramids but everyone wouldn't have to walk sideways as in the pictures. :biggrin:
    Basically, you don't want to lift the rocks higher than you have to, so sliding would get my vote.

21. Mar 27, 2017 #20
    Ok, thanks for the input everybody. We need to figure this out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted