Movement of a Body on horizontal surface

In summary: This is a force caused by two surfaces that are in contact with each other. The tractive force is the force that pulls an object or vehicle along. It is the force that is needed to start the car.
inv4lid

Homework Statement

A body that is on a horizontal surface begins to move under the action of horizontal force equal to 60% of its weight. Force acts for a while, then stops acting. Determine the total time of movement if the body has traveled a distance of 24m.

Homework Equations

gd1krNzHSbuPIJChPyJTWg.png
[/B]
I'm not really sure about the "horizontal force". Is it the tractive force or is it the resultant of the difference between the tractive and friction one?
I tried like both(but i really assume the horizontal is the resultant force) and from there we can probably get the acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

R = Ft - Ff = ma;
60% = 0,6;
where g is 10N/kg
0,6 m*g = ma;
6m = ma;
a = 6 (m/s2);

I've tried using that formula:
v12 - v02 = 2as
v1 - v0 = √(2as)
We don't know though any of speeds.
s = (v0 + v1)t/2
from there:
48 = (v0 + v1)t
S = v0t + a/2 * t2
24 = v0t + 3t2
tried more things but all attempts led to nothing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• gd1krNzHSbuPIJChPyJTWg.png
    gd1krNzHSbuPIJChPyJTWg.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the velocity of the body before it “begins to move?”

Check your algebra on solving for the final velocity.

Likes inv4lid
Chestermiller said:
What was the velocity of the body before it “begins to move?”

Check your algebra on solving for the final velocity.
It was 0, yes, i know.
I got some answers between 1,7 and 2,8 seconds. By the way, the end of the book says the true answer is 6s
The problem also belongs to the category of "simple problems", so I think the solution shouldn't be so
difficult. Usually, the problems of this category are solved in 1-2 steps.

inv4lid said:
A body that is on a horizontal surface begins to move under the action of horizontal force equal to 60% of its weight. Force acts for a while, then stops acting. Determine the total time of movement if the body has traveled a distance of 24m.
The wording strongly suggests that the "total movement" is made up of a period of constant acceleration while the force is applied, plus a further period of constant velocity. An answer of 6 seconds would then be feasible, but if this is correct then there is insufficient information to deduce it.
Please check you have provided all the information in the question.

Likes Chestermiller
Friction isn't mentioned in the problem statement.

1. What is the definition of "Movement of a Body on horizontal surface"?

The movement of a body on a horizontal surface refers to the motion of an object along a flat surface in a straight line. This type of movement is also known as rectilinear motion.

2. What are the factors that affect the movement of a body on a horizontal surface?

The factors that affect the movement of a body on a horizontal surface include the force applied on the object, the mass of the object, and the friction between the object and the surface.

3. How is the velocity of a body on a horizontal surface calculated?

The velocity of a body on a horizontal surface can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. It is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other, while static friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are at rest relative to each other. Kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction.

5. How does the angle of the surface affect the movement of a body on a horizontal surface?

The angle of the surface can affect the movement of a body on a horizontal surface by either increasing or decreasing the friction between the object and the surface. A steeper angle can increase the friction and slow down the movement, while a flatter angle can decrease the friction and increase the speed of the movement.