1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rocket on a cart is fired to go through a hoop

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 300 g rocket is on a cart that is rolling to the right at a speed of 2 m/s. The rocket engine, when it is fired, exerts an 6 N thrust on the rocket. Your goal is to have the rocket pass through a small horizontal hoop that is 18 m above the launch point. At what horizontal distance left of the hoop should you launch?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    delta x= V0t+1/2(a)(t^2)
    Vf^2=V0^2+2ax
    Vf=V0+at

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tired taking the force from thrust and subracting the force due to gravity and finding the force of the rocket (3.06N). I then used that to find the acceleration and used that to find the time it takes to reach 18 m vertical. From there I used the time and the velocity of the cart to find the horizontal distance of the cart. Its not the correct answer but I got 7.06m. Need help to discover where I went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 3.06 newtons (net force) looks correct, but what is the net acceleration that you calculated? Can you show us what was the time that you calculated, and how you got it?
    I am going to assume that you got 3.53 seconds (from your answer of 7.06m) but how did you arrive at that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted