Movie Classics that totally escape me

In summary, the conversation is about discussing critically acclaimed movies and personal opinions on them. The main movie mentioned is The Maltese Falcon, with the conversation also touching on other classics such as Citizen Kane, Wings of Desire, and The Wizard of Oz. The speakers also mention their preferences for certain genres and their thoughts on movies that are highly praised or disregarded by critics.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
e.g., at the moment I'm watching The Maltese Falcon, and finding it every bit as boring as 2001, A Space Oddysey. Any interest in a thread devoted to "critically acclaimed" movies that you want your money back when you see them for free in "The Nam," like Easy Rider? I did waste a perfectly good evening, "coulda" done KP, but no, I "hadda" go see Easy Rider.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what "classics" did you enjoy?

Bystander said:
...at the moment I'm watching The Maltese Falcon ...
Cannot convince anyone to like a movie except The Maltese Falcon belongs in an entirely different class of flicks.

Author Samuel Dashiell Hammett, a disabled WWI veteran who enlisted again for WWII, practically created the modern detective genre. Sam Spade despises his business partner Miles Archer, both WWI combat veterans. When Archer gets murdered, Spade vows revenge on all involved. Mrs. Archer, Sam's sometime lover (decency rules do not allow me or Hammett to use military phraseology) believes Spade wasted Archer to clear the field. Sam allows her to live as long as he is sure Mrs. Archer was not involved in Archer's demise.

Enter a field of nefarious characters led by Gutmann, the Fat Man himself. Probably the Fat Man, his "torpedo" bodyguard played by Elisha Cook, and Peter Lorre's character are gay, but so what? We are all sophisticates. Even after Sam disarms the torpedo, he casually hands back the twin .45 ACP pistols then laughs when the defeated thug holds him at gunpoint again. Spade knows a simple thug would never get the drop on Archer at night, not to mention the fact that Archer was killed by a .32 caliber, a lady's purse gun perhaps?

The Falcon represents a nebulous "object of desire". Spade suffers and manipulates the police and the suspects until everyone gets what they deserve. Look at the film as a shadow of another worthless bloody war fought by common people that only aids the wealthy. Shadows, night, darkness, noir. Trust no one.

• Wow
Likes mathwonk, Dragrath, Buzz Bloom and 3 others
Bystander said:
e.g., at the moment I'm watching The Maltese Falcon, and finding it every bit as boring as 2001, A Space Oddysey. Any interest in a thread devoted to "critically acclaimed" movies that you want your money back when you see them for free in "The Nam," like Easy Rider? I did waste a perfectly good evening, "coulda" done KP, but no, I "hadda" go see Easy Rider.
Right now I cannot think of any, although I may have answers to the question after longer thought.

The ones you mentioned are very good, with real humanity meanings. They might require more maturity, so if you don't understand them now, you could develop some understanding later, and this understanding can increase. Liking them is not the same as understanding them, so not sure what to tell you about "boring".

Likes Klystron
Bystander said:

Just because a film is a classic does not mean that those films will appeal to all viewers. It would help to know what types of films you do enjoy or have liked in the past.

Do you find yourself enjoying films from certain eras more than others -- for example, American films made in the 1970s and 1980s vs those made in the 1950s or 1960s?

Do you enjoy foreign-language films?

Do you enjoy non-American English-language films (e.g. films made in the UK, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand)?

Do you enjoy certain genres more than others?

Likes Dragrath and Spinnor
It is quite evident that the Maltese Falcon movie is a transplant from the Maltese Falcon book from England to San Francisco.

Opening scene: Humphrey Bogart is drinking tea. He is holding the tea bag in his teeth

Later he tells his client: They (the man who is married and seeing the client's sister) usually do, but not always in England.

This would be a non-sequitur unless the story is set in England.

There is definitely loss in the translation in the story between the book and the movie.

I am told this is equally true in 2001. I saw the movie in 1968, an said so what. It wasn't until 1975 when a friend said the story does not even make any sense unless you read Arthur Clarke-s book first.

Citizen Kane. Often required viewing in film classes - considered one of the critically-acclaimed movies of all time.

Oh my God. Kill me.Wings of Desire.

Oh my God. I will kill myself.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, Astronuc, DaveE and 3 others
This is more in the spirit of https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/which-music-do-you-dislike-the-most.948368/ ;
gleem said:
So what "classics" did you enjoy?
critically acclaimed box office bombs? The Last Emperor. Critically "dissed" successes? The Jerk ; Disney flop critically non-existent chick-flicks? The Haunted Mansion. Critically acclaimed hits? Papillon. Critically ignored chick-flicks that are hits? 9 to 5, Roxanne, All of Me. Critically poo-pooed action, all of Eastwood's (minus The Beguiled, don't think I'll watch The Mule either) and Schwarzenegger's and Lee Marvin's and Statham's ... Critically ignored kiddie flicks, Casper.

"The Wizard of Oz", "Gone With the Wind", these just were not my genre, I can see the reasons they are called classics but that does not make them watchable by me. "2001" I rented and turned off after twenty minutes and returned it unfinished. Yes, I have read the book.

"Samuri" a six hour trilogy about Miyamoto Musashi from Japan I have watched in its entirety four times now and am ready to get the blu ray with updated subtitles. My kind of movie.
I saw "Harakiri" as a teenager on our PBS station, as an adult I own it.
"Unforgiven" a classic by Clint Eastwood is an American classic I enjoy.
I think the trend is obvious with me, others will have tastes that do not match mine.

I remember the motto of a classic rock station in my youth, "It doesn't have to be good to be a classic"
I like what I like, good and bad movies are subjective in the extreme.

Likes Spinnor, Klystron and Bystander
mpresic3 said:
I am told this is equally true in 2001. I saw the movie in 1968, an said so what. It wasn't until 1975 when a friend said the story does not even make any sense unless you read Arthur Clarke-s book first.
I saw 2001 in a cinema in 1971, when I was 12, and I loved it, but I distinctly recall one of the grown-ups spitting on the pavement (sidewalk) outside, saying it was the biggest load of crap he'd ever seen.
Clearly tastes are subjective! (I think I saw the film first, before I read the book.)

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Movie classics I don't enjoy:
  • Blade Runner (1982, Ridley Scott)
    It is beautifully filmed and the story is quite ok, but it is simply too loooong and booooring. It is based on a short story, and in my opinion, that was not an advantage. Somebody should have written more story to the film.
  • Solaris (1972, Andrei Tarkovsky)
    I loved the book, but this film is even more boring than Blade Runner. Watch this and you may fall into a coma.

Movie classics I do enjoy:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Citizen Kane. Often required viewing in film classes - considered one of the critically-acclaimed movies of all time.

Oh come one, even the title wings of desire screams don't watch! And you did? ☺

• Haha
Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
    It is beautifully filmed and the story is quite ok, but it is simply too loooong and booooring. It is based on a short story, and in my opinion, that was not an advantage. Somebody should have written more story to the film.
    I loved the book, but this film is even more boring than Blade Runner. Watch this and you may fall into a coma.

Did you see the director's cut of Blade Runner? Now that is way too long. The shorter version, with the voiceover, is much better.

PS that's a great list!
I would add, Alien and ... Chronicles of Riddick.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and DennisN
Michael Price said:
Did you see the director's cut of Blade Runner?
Which one of the 1000 versions of this long movie do you mean? :biggrin:

Blade Runner (extended), Blade Runner (extended beyond comprehension) or Blade Runner (looped to run eternally)?

Or do you mean Blade Runner (final cut), Blade Runner (no, we we're wrong, this is the final cut) or Blade Runner (no, we want more money so this is the final, final cut)?

Michael Price said:
PS that's a great list!
I would add, Alien and ... Chronicles Riddick.
Yeah, Alien is a great classic. I enjoyed Riddick too.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Michael Price
Bystander said:
e.g., at the moment I'm watching The Maltese Falcon, and finding it every bit as boring as 2001, A Space Oddysey.
I was just reading the newspaper and saw an advert for a movie:

"Mankind's only hope for survival: Brad Pitt, Ad Astra", in cinemas from Sep 18.

Jeez, give me The Maltese Falcon any day.

Likes Bystander and Michael Price
I just remembered a movie which might be on my top ten list.

Amadeus (1984, Milos Forman), trailer:

Beautiful, very enjoyable and great acting. A mix of history and fiction. And I like historical dramas and classical music too :smile:.

Likes BillTre, BWV, pinball1970 and 1 other person
DennisN said:

I up-voted for the ones you liked..
I thought Solaris was excellent, slow moving but a real feeling of dread all the way through.
I saw Bladerunner in the 80s, not at the pictures unfortunately. How can you not like Rutger hauer’s character?
I like all versions, it a visually stark vision of our future with a beautiful Vangelis backdrop to take you through it.

Likes BillTre, Klystron, PeroK and 1 other person
I started usual suspects twice and did not get through it either time, I got a little bored then lost.Everyone tells me it is a great film.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
I watched CaddyShack last year and remember it being so dreadful.

Likes BillTre, StatGuy2000, Bystander and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
I saw Bladerunner in the 80s, not at the pictures unfortunately. How can you not like Rutger hauer’s character?
I did like his character, and the others. I find the movie just a bit too long. Like one and a half hours too long 😄 . It would be great as a short movie. As a sidenote, I was an assistant to Hauer on a SF convention once. I was careful to keep my opinions on Blade Runner to myself :smile:.

Edit: By the way, Rutger Hauer passed away recently.

Edit 2: I just remembered there was some kind of special viewing of the movie during the convention, I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe Hauer did an introductory talk before they would show the movie, or something. But I was too tired and went to bed instead :biggrin: .

pinball1970 said:
I like all versions, it a visually stark vision of our future with a beautiful Vangelis backdrop to take you through it.
Visually it is a very fine movie and the music is very good and suggestive, I think.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
Bystander said:

Agree with you on Easy Rider.
DaveC426913 said:

Never understood why Citizen Kane was judged one of the greatest, (except for the notoriety at the time). I failed to see it once (fell asleep). Wings of Desire Sounds bad.

Torbert said:
"The Wizard of Oz"...

Watched it last weekend. I believe its the 80th anniversary of its release. Still watchable IMO, hasn't dated like so many films.

DennisN said:
...Movie classics I do enjoy:

plus The Big Country, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, High Noon, the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

DennisN said:
...Visually it is a very fine movie and the music is very good and suggestive, I think.

Supposedly the view of Los Angeles was inspired by the view of industrial Teesside in the North East of England as Ridley Scott was a student in the area.

Likes Bystander and DennisN
cobalt124 said:
plus The Big Country, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, High Noon, the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Yeah, I like Close Encounters and High Noon too. I haven't seen The Big Country, so I will check it out!

Last edited:
Some movies are mentioned in more posts, responding to comments on their merits.
Similar controversy likewise caused many of the older classics to become classics. Times change and the movies get dated, but in context they were relevant and much discussed.

Speaking of dated movies, "Bladerunner" is mentioned often, pro, con, and sarcasm. Puts it towards being a classic. If true AI duplicates organic brains, can it become the Buddha? Or will it have a soul? Classic questions.
confession:
I own all four versions and have a origami unicorn on my windowsill.

Likes Klystron and DennisN
Torbert said:
Speaking of dated movies, "Bladerunner" is mentioned often, pro, con, and sarcasm. Puts it towards being a classic
For me, I just like to joke around a bit :smile:. And I am probably in a minority with regards to Bladerunner. I do agree it is a classic SF movie, along with Alien, Close Encounters and 2001. I don't remember what I thought about 2001, but I do remember it was a pretty slow movie.

Also, just like with music, taste is utterly subjective.

Likes pinball1970, Bystander and Klystron
cobalt124 said:
Never understood why Citizen Kane was judged one of the greatest, (except for the notoriety at the time). I failed to see it once (fell asleep).

Well, I'll stand up for Citizen Kane. Among its strong points are its cinematic innovation, vision and bravado. And also its political depth and maturity.

High Noon, which I think is a good film, is black and white. Gary Cooper's character (Will Kane, there's a a coincidence!) is totally good and Frank Miller is totally bad.

But, is Charles Foster Kane a hero, a villain or a tragic figure?

Even today, try to find a film with the subtlety and realism of the Kane character.

The screenplay is superb. And there must be a dozen truly memorable scenes.

The scene where his ex-wife is interviewed - a washed up night club singer - and the way the camera pans in through the skylight. What more do you want from a film?

Maybe cinema never was suited to serious, mature political or social comment. That's why we have Spider Man III and Kane is considered boring because it doesn't have a superhero or a comic book villain.

• Love
Likes BillTre, mathwonk, Ophiolite and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
I watched CaddyShack last year and remember it being so dreadful.
One of the most ridiculous films I have been made to watch. I complained all the way through it.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and Bystander
I will bite again -- take the bait? -- on movies derived from science-fiction (SF), "Solaris" and "Bladerunner". I agree with most of the above comments.

One regret from growing up outside the Iron Curtain was that we only received driblets of Stanislaw Lem's prodigious output. I only learned Lem was Polish, not Russian, from Isaac Asimov. I have seen three astounding cinema versions of his novel "Solaris", all solid beautiful flicks. Kubrick based the scene in 2001 where Floyd meets Russian friends on the dacha scenes from "Solaris". The novel and Russian language movies make clear that 'Solaristics' and the group memory are allegories for Marxism, Communism and life as Ashkenaz in the USSR.

Philip Dick was the principle local SF author where I grew up in Northern California. I read each new novel as it arrived at Cupertino or Sunnyvale libraries. Like Lem, Dick wrote about authority and society, knowledge and existence, and the effects of technology on humanity.

"Bladerunner" seems a composite of characters from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", situations from "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said!" coupled with the surreal de-coupling of "Ubik". A shame PKD did not live to see the many movies developed from his stories and his profound influence on the genre.

Along with Rutger Hauer, please remember the late Edward James Olmos playing the origami bending humanist policeman character lifted from "Flow My Tears...".

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, Torbert, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Klystron said:
"Bladerunner" seems a composite of characters from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", situations from "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said!" coupled with the surreal de-coupling of "Ubik".
Personally I see some similarities between the movie Bladerunner and the classic novel "Frankenstein", which I really like. In Frankenstein, a creature is created who comes back and makes demands on the creator (Victor Frankenstein) and later...
...the creature makes threats and ends up killing Victor's wife. Later Victor goes on a hunt for the creature which ends at the North Pole.

Likes Klystron
DennisN said:
  • Casablanca (1942, Michael Curtiz)
    Cool story, cool setting. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.
I had pretty much the opposite reaction. Somehow never saw it for years (Though I always seemed to find it while flipping channels just in time to see that last famous scene.) . Finally saw it all the way through and felt let down. It just didn't seem to hold up to all the praise I heard about it.

Maybe that was the problem, my expectations had been built up so high, that the actual film was bound to fall short.
Another example was the Eddie Murphy movie "48 hrs". My wife's sister and her husband raved about it. So, my wife and I rented it. Both of our reactions were: "Meh".

"Classic" movies I have enjoyed include
"The African Queen"
"Singing in the Rain"(even though generally musicals aren't my thing.)
"It's a Wonderful Life". ( Though admittedly, my enthusiasm has waned due to over-exposure)

Likes DennisN, PeroK, Bystander and 1 other person
Torbert said:
"Gone With the Wind",
"Frankly, Scarlet, ...," first curse word, first marathon length color, first male to female slap(?), and a bunch of other "firsts;" but, I've never contemplated "bucket-listing" it.
DennisN said:
  • Can't argue here.
DennisN said:
Which one of the 1000 versions of this long movie do you mean? :biggrin:
Blade Runner (extended), Blade Runner (extended beyond comprehension) or Blade Runner (looped to run eternally)?
Or do you mean Blade Runner (final cut), Blade Runner (no, we we're wrong, this is the final cut) or Blade Runner (no, we want more money so this is the final, final cut)?
DennisN said:
about 2001, but I do remember it was a pretty slow movie.

Also, just like with music, taste is utterly subjective.
Had it ended with the apes and the antelope thigh bone, be a nice "short" to anthologize into Twilight Zone, or something similar.
pinball1970 said:
One of the most ridiculous films I have been made to watch.
Bill Murray is even harder to gag down than Chevy.
Janus said:
Another example was the Eddie Murphy movie "48 hrs". My wife's sister and her husband raved about it. So, my wife and I rented it. Both of our reactions were: "Meh".
..., and if I were to recommend to you that Another 48 Hours would change your take on it? Eddie Murphy can be worse than Bill Murray, little like pimento stuffed olives, if you can't stand the taste, don't waste your time trying to develop the taste.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Torbert said:
"Unforgiven" a classic by Clint Eastwood is an American classic I enjoy.
..., and Play Misty for Me, Cool Hand Luke, The Last Emperor are "watch once" movies---never be able to sit through them twice; definitely classics, recommend with no reservations, but I can not watch them a second time, too intense, or something---Guardians of the Galaxy, or Casablanca, any spaghetti western, Lone Ranger, all the Dirty Harrys, put 'em on endless loop...

Likes Torbert and BillTre
Bystander said:
all the Dirty Harrys
I am big fan of those too.

When one says classics, some movies pop to mind:
  1. 2001: A space odyssey - it gets briefly interesting when HAL goes ham, otherwise, I can't watch it.
  2. Planet of the Apes - I recall one line: "seems like some apes are more equal than the others" and the ending is a shocker, too, otherwise eeeeh. I'm likely too spoiled with the cgi nowadays.
  3. Blade runner - again, a few interesting scenes at the end, otherwise I don't click with it.
  4. Star Wars episode 5 - best of the Star Wars films, hands down, bar none, no competition. I like the entire film.
There are a lot of, what I call, 'old' movies. The oldest movie I saw is 12 Angry men and that one is interesting from start to finish. I haven't seen from start to finish the critically acclaimed timeless classics like "Citizen Kane" - I mean I have tried to watch it, but I just don't get it. I'm likely too stupid for that film.

Likes Klystron, DennisN and Bystander
nuuskur said:
I mean I have tried to watch it, but I just don't get it.
All Quiet on the Western Front, the original, 👍, the remake with John-boy Walton, :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:; worse than Bill Murray in Caddyshack. And don't even get me started on Patrick Stewart's rehash of Moby Dick; a disastrous disservice to Gregory Peck and the Disney version.
nuuskur said:
I recall one line: "seems like some apes are more equal than the others"
That's another series of movies that have never even vaguely interested me.
PeroK said:
Spider Man III
..., and all incarnations of the "Incredible Hulk;" Bruce Banner and Peter Parker are unreal comic book heroes.
PeroK said:
Maybe cinema never was suited to serious, mature political or social comment.
Political and social commentary bore me to death. Too many training films in basic and AIT.

Likes Klystron
nuuskur said:
When one says classics, some movies pop to mind:
  1. 2001: A space odyssey - it gets briefly interesting when HAL goes ham, otherwise, I can't watch it.
  2. Planet of the Apes - I recall one line: "seems like some apes are more equal than the others" and the ending is a shocker, too, otherwise eeeeh. I'm likely too spoiled with the cgi nowadays.
  3. Blade runner - again, a few interesting scenes at the end, otherwise I don't click with it.
  4. Star Wars episode 5 - best of the Star Wars films, hands down, bar none, no competition. I like the entire film.
There are a lot of, what I call, 'old' movies. The oldest movie I saw is 12 Angry men and that one is interesting from start to finish. I haven't seen from start to finish the critically acclaimed timeless classics like "Citizen Kane" - I mean I have tried to watch it, but I just don't get it. I'm likely too stupid for that film.

Unlike the other movies on your list Citizen Kane is not science fiction. That's why there are no spacecraft in it.

• Haha
Likes hmmm27, DennisN and nuuskur
<h2>1. What makes a movie a "classic"?</h2><p>A movie is considered a classic based on its enduring popularity and impact on culture. It may also be recognized for its significant contributions to the film industry, such as groundbreaking storytelling techniques or memorable performances.</p><h2>2. How do movie classics stand the test of time?</h2><p>Movie classics often have timeless themes and universal messages that resonate with audiences across generations. They also often have high production value and skilled storytelling that allows them to remain relevant and engaging even after many years.</p><h2>3. Why do some people not appreciate movie classics?</h2><p>Appreciation of a movie, whether it is a classic or not, is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some people may not appreciate movie classics because they prefer more modern or niche genres, or they may not connect with the themes and messages portrayed in the film.</p><h2>4. Can a movie still be considered a classic if it is not well-received during its initial release?</h2><p>Yes, a movie can still be considered a classic even if it was not well-received during its initial release. Some movies gain recognition and appreciation over time, and their impact and influence on the film industry may only become apparent years after their release.</p><h2>5. Are there any common elements or themes among movie classics?</h2><p>While there is no one formula for a movie classic, some common elements or themes include strong character development, engaging storytelling, and thought-provoking messages. Many movie classics also have memorable and iconic scenes or quotes that have become ingrained in popular culture.</p>

1. What makes a movie a "classic"?

A movie is considered a classic based on its enduring popularity and impact on culture. It may also be recognized for its significant contributions to the film industry, such as groundbreaking storytelling techniques or memorable performances.

2. How do movie classics stand the test of time?

Movie classics often have timeless themes and universal messages that resonate with audiences across generations. They also often have high production value and skilled storytelling that allows them to remain relevant and engaging even after many years.

3. Why do some people not appreciate movie classics?

Appreciation of a movie, whether it is a classic or not, is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some people may not appreciate movie classics because they prefer more modern or niche genres, or they may not connect with the themes and messages portrayed in the film.

4. Can a movie still be considered a classic if it is not well-received during its initial release?

Yes, a movie can still be considered a classic even if it was not well-received during its initial release. Some movies gain recognition and appreciation over time, and their impact and influence on the film industry may only become apparent years after their release.

5. Are there any common elements or themes among movie classics?

While there is no one formula for a movie classic, some common elements or themes include strong character development, engaging storytelling, and thought-provoking messages. Many movie classics also have memorable and iconic scenes or quotes that have become ingrained in popular culture.