Movies you would like someone to make

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: Douglas Adams.In summary, the conversation discusses a possible movie adaptation of AC Clarke's Childhood's End, a screenplay for which has been in the movie business for years, but has not yet been produced. The other two books mentioned are the novel Watchers and the novel Stranger in a Strange Land, which have been turned into movies but the quality of the movies is not good. The author's choice is based on the quality of the novel and the feasibility of making the movie without voice-over narration getting tedious. The author also suggests a movie adaptation of Isaac Asimov's Foundation & Empire series.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have always wanted to see AC Clarke's, Childhood's End, made into a movie.

A screenplay of the novel has for years been sold and traded in the movie business, but has not been produced yet. Director Kimberly Peirce and actress Hilary Swank have been attached to the project.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood's_End

Physics news on Phys.org
Cold Fire by Dean Koontz, there were a couple others Koontz ones, too.

The Physiognamy

I want Chris Nolan to remake Dark Knight with the same style and fulfilling the hope that was built up after Batman Begins.

I can't stand Koontz. The one good book he wrote was turned into crappy movie. Watchers. His other 14,000 books aren't as good. I just don't believe it is possible to write great literature when you are turning out a novel a day, two on Saturdays.

I would like to see RA Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden stories become a movie.

I've always thought a good documentary could be made about the most dangerous and deadly man who ever lived. I can't remember his name right now, but he was the guy who discovered that by putting lead in gasoline it eliminated engine knock. He didn't stop there though, a few years later he invented CFCs. He single handedly poisoned the entire planet and depleted the ozone layer.

They are making it, but The Watchmen.

One of Time's top 100 novels of all time.

I'd love to see The Dark Tower turned into a movie. However, they can not be allowed to bastardize it like they did with every other Stephen King novel-turned-movie.

I always wanted to see Heinlein's Glory Road made into a movie. Back when I was a 17 yr old teenager, I enjoyed the description of Star on the beach. I knew a girl who fit my image of the description. :tongue2:

SticksandStones said:
I'd love to see The Dark Tower turned into a movie. However, they can not be allowed to bastardize it like they did with every other Stephen King novel-turned-movie.

but could you sit through a 647 hour long movie? Do you know what part of that series made me cry? when Roland is going crazy and eddie gives him the key he is carving to make the voices go away.

Stranger in a Strange Land could be done and I'd go see it. Unless they got Tom Cruise to star as Valentine Michael Smith.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress would be a good one.

I crave Arthur C Clark's "Rendezvous with Rama." There is also a screen play for this movie, and Morgan Freeman was suppose to be the main cast. But they pulled the plug.

I guess the heavy sci-fi movies don't bring a lot of revenue. They'd rather make "Saw" or indulge in some batman.

Brave New World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series )
Naomi Novik's Termeraire series is the only thing I can think of at the moment.
"a reimagining of the epic events of the Napoleonic Wars with an air force — an air force of dragons, manned by crews of aviators"
My choice is mainly due to how much I hate books being butchered to be made into movies. Novik's series is a great idea that would be visually attractive. Her prose are nothing special so nothing would really be lost in translation to the screen and the books are fairly action oriented so there wouldn't likely be a need to cut a lot out due to time constraints.

According to Wiki Peter Jackson has already optioned the rights to make it into a movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ringworld, by Larry Niven

Janus said:

so you can picket it with your "The Ringworld is Unstable" signs?

Janus said:

I'll second that.

I'd like to see Isaac Asimov's Foundation (& Empire) series made into a series of movies.

Aztec, by Jennings.

Ivan Seeking said:
Aztec, by Jennings.
Great book, but it might be tough to make into a decent movie without a lot of voice-over narration. That can get tedious sometimes, but it worked OK for Dune and Shawshank Redemption.

I wish they would also do All Quiet on the Western Front. That is a movie that desperately needs to be made with modern special effects. There is a serious lack of WWI films.

turbo-1 said:
Great book, but it might be tough to make into a decent movie without a lot of voice-over narration. That can get tedious sometimes, but it worked OK for Dune and Shawshank Redemption.

...and Hitchhikers Guide. :biggrin:

Aztec is the only novel that I've read in virtually one shot. I only stopped reading long enough to sleep and eat.

It seems to me that the story might be told in much the same manner as was Quest for Fire.

I think some of Lois Lowry's books would be good in movie form...it'd be hard though.

Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks

They should also make a movie on the life of Alan Turing, one of the greatest minds of the 20th century who helped crack the Enigma and who was also chemically castrated because he was gay back when it was illegal.

Turing was one interesting character.

Likes JsStewartFan
I'd like to see a journey through the Milky Way Galaxy (3-D images) showing stars, nebulae and gas/dust clouds. I think closeups of the Horsehead Nebula (also known as Barnard 33 in bright nebula IC 434) and the Gas Pillars in the Eagle Nebula (M16) would be really cool.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050321.html
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2001/12/image/

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula/pr1995044a/
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080719.html

And I'd like to see a similar movie of the Local Cluster and other large cosmological structures.

See - Six-Degree Field Galaxy Survey (6dFGS)
http://www.aao.gov.au/AAO/press/6dfgs/

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I'd like to see a journey through the Milky Way Galaxy (3-D images) showing stars, nebulae and gas/dust clouds. ...

I think that might be interesting, but I would worry about the disappointment of seeing large structures too close. After all is there anything to see in a nebula any more interesting than flying through what looks like an interesting cloud here?

I'd want to go the other way. Beyond Heisenberg. I'd like to see the quarks with absolute certainty ... up, down charm, strange, etc .. travel through various size nuclei ... see electrons change orbitals ... watch a photon emit ... in super slow mo.

Oh and did I mention I want to watch it on an Imax?
... make that extra butter on the popcorn too.

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card...

But they'd have to get a bloody good child actor for the lead.

I had Ender's Game in mind when I started reading the thread. I would like to see that one also. Seems there was a movie in progress, but it got scrapped.

I also wouldn't mind seeing any of Terry Pratchett's books made into films. Mort is my favorite.

Huckleberry said:
I also wouldn't mind seeing any of Terry Pratchett's books made into films.

That would be a challenge and a half :biggrin:

The gunpowder plot of 1605 the thwarted attempt of a group of conspirators to blow up James 1 of England.An intriguing tale with a gory conclusion.

Moby Duck. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
You better copyright that before Pixar uses it. :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:

I'd sooner suffer a Moby Duck than a Moby Dick.