1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving electron - finding the wavefunction

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On our modern physics class e did a problem:
    At first i said: "Oh i know this!" and solved the case like this.

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz invariant: ##E=\sqrt{{E_0}^2 + p^2c^2}##
    Schrodinger equation where ##V(x)=0##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The energy ##100eV## must be the kinetic energy of the electron. So i said ok this kinetic energy is very small compared to the rest energy and i can say that ##pc \ll E_0## which means i have a classical limit where:

\begin{align}
    E=\sqrt{{E_0}^2 + p^2c^2}\\
    E=\sqrt{{E_0}^2 + 0}\\
    \boxed{E=E_0}
    \end{align}

So now i can write the general wavefunction for a free right-mooving particle like this:

$$\psi=Ae^{iLx}\quad L=\sqrt{\tfrac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}$$

So if i want to get the speciffic solution i need to calculate the constant ##L## and then normalise the ##\psi##. Because ##E=E_0## i calculated the constant ##L## like this:

$$L=\sqrt{\frac{2mE_0}{\hbar^2}}$$

while my professor states that i should do it like this:

$$L=\sqrt{\frac{2mE_k}{\hbar^2}}$$

where ##E_k## is the kinetic energy of the electron. Who is wrong? I mean whaaaaat? The constant ##L## is afterall defined using the full energy and not kinetic energy...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're wrong. Both your expression for L and the Schrodinger equation are non-relativistic. It's not appropriate to use the relativistic expression for the energy of the electron here.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Thank you.

But can you explain to me why don't we generaly use the rest energy when dealing with a classical approximations. In books everyone explains the rest energy but what it realy is? I mean i know how to calculate it and whatsoever but when does it appear and why do we have to take it into the calculation?

I am confused only because of that Lorentz invariance which says that if a particle is mooving slowly most of its energy is the rest energy. On the other hand we just neglect it like it isn't there... It seems to me like a contradiction...

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's just the way you're doing the classical approximation isn't correct. A plane wave is given by $$\psi = e^{i(kx-\omega t)}$$ where ##p= \hbar k## and ##E = \hbar \omega##. For the spatial dependence, you need to find the classical approximation for the momentum p:
    \begin{align*}
    pc &= \sqrt{E^2 - (mc^2)^2} \\
    &= \sqrt{(mc^2+K)^2 - (mc^2)^2} \\
    &= \sqrt{2mc^2 K + K^2} \\
    &\cong \sqrt{2mc^2 K}
    \end{align*} where K is the kinetic energy. The rest energy term cancels out.

The other way to look at it is that ##k = \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}## is equivalent to the relationship ##E = \frac{(\hbar k)^2}{2m} = \frac{p^2}{2m}##. This latter expression is clearly the classical quantity for the kinetic energy of a particle of mass m, not the total energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted