1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ms in physics after b.tech in ece

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    I am a B.Tech student interested in ms in physics.When i was searching for the admission procedure and requirements in the universities some universities are mentioning they require B.S degree in physics.Are there any one who had done ms in physics after b.tech if so please help me in planning for the universities

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My BS is in mathematics/computer science, with a minor in physics. After working for a few years I was accepted into an MS program for physics ... as a condition of acceptance I was required to take the remaining courses which would have converted the minor in physics to a major.

I would expect no less from any program which wants you to succeed. The physics courses at the MS level expect you to already know/understand the material at the undergraduate level - including mathematical physics, quantum mechanics, advanced labs, thermodynamics, etc.

4. Jun 4, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, a lot really depends on what the B.Tech. really is. Where I'm from, a course with "technology" in the title is usually more trade-oriented and specific to getting the student into a particular vocation. It is not generally considered an academic degree and therefore does not qualify one for graduate studies. It might be different where you're from though.

You might want to check out this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook