Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTW definition of differential froms made rigorous

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hello guys!

I've been trying to get some intuition for differential forms. I know the formal theory and I know how useful they are. But then I came across the following paper: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/828035/Mathematics/forms.pdf
    It describes an intuition for forms that is very closely related to how forms are described in MTW. It's really nice.

The only problem is that I have no clue how to make this rigorous. So does anybody know some theorems or results that connect the intuitive picture as described in the pdf to the formal theory of forms. In particular, given a ##1##-form (or an ##n##-form more generally), how does one draw the associated picture in the pdf?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've been working on a way to draw these accurately in 3-D using VRML, Maple, and VPython...
    but that's been on the backburner due to different but related projects.

Here is an old conference poster of mine (on an old website of mine [I'm no longer there]).
    http://physics.syr.edu/~salgado/papers/VisualTensorCalculus-AAPT-01Sum.pdf [Broken].
    Have a look at the references listed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 2, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks a lot robphy. The references to your conference poster were really helpful. The two books by Burke and Sternberg give really good intuition and explained a lot to me. I think I have finally figured out how to make the pdf in my OP rigorous with the help of your post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook