Multi-screen Output for single PC (8.1)?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output pc
In summary, if you want to use multiple monitors on a PC, you need to have a modern system and use a USB video card. You can also use a DisplayLink device.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
It has been my nerd dream to have many screens to be able to see the same PC (Win 8.1)output in more than one screen. Other than the obvious way of having the same input in many PCs simultaneously, is there some other way of doing this, while having the option of doing basic functions on the additional screens, e.g., scrolling up or down. Should I just get a few monitors and attach them to my PC, together with some change of settings in the "main" PC ( the one that is receiving the input from me)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi all,
...Should I just get a few monitors and attach them to my PC, together with some change of settings in the "main" PC ( the one that is receiving the input from me)?
Yes, definitely possible and it also utilizes your PC 8.1's CPU and RAM to display its windows on those monitors.

Likes WWGD
Thanks, seems like that should be enough monitors!

:biggrin: I don't know about your actual need. My classmates here also shared their stories of getting new job interviews for technician positions in other companies today and you guess...
More Free Advice is needed about this.

If you have a relatively modern PC you probably can put at least two monitors on it. Many support three or more. Look at the back of your computer an find all of the video outputs.
Use the digital ones first:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface[/PLAIN]
This one is usable too but lower quality:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Some systems will only allow certain combinations to be used. Usually there is a limit to the number. You have 4 connectors but any three may be used. Sometimes the VGA connector will only work if a certain other digital one is not used. The instructions will have that information. If you need more you usually can add more video cards. As a last resort use USB to video converters.

Once you have that sorted you need to set them up. There are many different options depending on your OS. Each has a default way and the video card manufacturer may have their own way.

BoB

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes billy_joule
In addition to my 8.1u1 PC's internal graphics system running this 19" wide-screen #1 at 1600x900, I've an 'inexpensive' USB 2.0 DisplayLink DL-165 device driving the adjacent 19" wide-screen #2 at the same resolution, both via DVI.
So, I've an effective screen size of 3200x900.
:-)
Thoughts...
1) It is CPU-intensive. Sadly, my 1.5 GHz, 6Gb PC has a 'black box' warranty, so I'm restricted to external augments.
2) The 'out of box' device only offered a lower resolution, but DisplayLink's site had an upgraded driver available.
3) There's later devices with USB 3.0 interface for true HD working. Sadly, this PC also lacks any 3.0 ports...

As ever, YMMV...

{ I'm still hoping to 'break ground' on a home-build CAD PC with six nimble cores, 32 GB fast RAM, a dual-DVI card etc etc but 'real world' stuff has priority... }

A USB 3 video card is similar to the order of magnitude speed of a 1xpcie video card. If your system supports a faster interface (4x pcie?) you will have much better performance. That 1x speed can be annoying due to bandwidth limitations but still definitely usable.

Your CAD experience may be limited on the USB monitor. However if you only use it for the palettes and tools it should be well within it capabilities.

BoB

Edit: You are talking AGP level performance. We all saw that as blinding speed back in the day.

I spread my budget TurboCAD Deluxe's palettes and tools around the eight feet of screen edge, have multiple views in use. I've no significant latency during editing. Of course, I'm only working at 'hobbyist' complexity, but my models do include a lot of custom architectural detail like Medieval-ish arches, doors and windows, down to their 'soldier bricks' and hob-nails...
Rendering is as slow as you'd expect...
===
FWIW, there's a *nasty*, decade-old bug in the Deluxe version's 3D Booleans, such that one-too-many 'slices / dices / welds' will 'lock-up' an object, preventing further Boolean operations. Gotta 'undo'. As I understand it, legacy licensing issues preclude patching.

This does NOT apply to the wondrous 'Pro' engine, but my version was too old to re-install. Registration system didn't accept it. {Weep...}
And, yes, you do need a $2k workstation to run the now-$1k Pro and its remarkable tool-kit.
Remember that scene in 'The Matrix' when they ask for guns ??
Oh, yeah...

What is multi-screen output for single PC (8.1)?

Multi-screen output for single PC (8.1) refers to the ability to connect multiple monitors to a single computer running the Windows 8.1 operating system. This allows users to have a larger desktop space and view different applications simultaneously.

How many monitors can be connected to a single PC running Windows 8.1?

The number of monitors that can be connected to a single PC running Windows 8.1 depends on the graphics card and ports available on the computer. Most modern graphics cards support up to four monitors, but it is recommended to check the specifications of your specific graphics card for the maximum number of supported monitors.

Do I need any special equipment or software for multi-screen output on Windows 8.1?

In most cases, you will need a graphics card that supports multiple monitors and the necessary cables to connect your monitors to the computer. Some computers may also require a splitter or adapter to connect multiple monitors. Additionally, you may need to adjust your computer's display settings to enable multi-screen output.

Can I extend my desktop to multiple monitors or do they all have to display the same thing?

Yes, you can extend your desktop to multiple monitors on a single PC running Windows 8.1. This means that each monitor can display different applications or windows, giving you a larger desktop space to work with. You can also choose to duplicate your display on all connected monitors if desired.

What are the benefits of using multi-screen output on a single PC?

The main benefit of multi-screen output on a single PC is increased productivity. With multiple monitors, you can have multiple applications or documents open at the same time, making it easier to multitask and switch between tasks. It can also improve the viewing experience for activities such as gaming, video editing, and graphic design.