Multiple Choice for Physics Courses

In summary, Anelemany of the multiple choice questions on tests brought his marks down. He will need to take an introductory course in modern physics in order to take a modern physics course, but he is worried about the subject.
Anele
Hey guys! This is my first post, so hopefully it is in the correct spot.

I'm a grade 12 student in Canada. I am thinking of majoring in computer science because I love logic and technology. I plan on taking some physics electives because I enjoy physics, more specifically modern physics. However, this is where my problem arises.

I took physics one year ahead, both with only grade 10 math. Unfortunately, my marks were not as high as I had hoped. They ranged from low 80s to low 90s... very rarely high 90s and 100s, but I ended up with low 80s in both the gr 11 and 12 courses.

I am very involved in my school and community, and therefore I have less time than most for homework and studying. So while I understood the topics very well, and even explained them to other students, many of the multiple choice questions on tests brought my marks down. My teacher and I figured out that my problem was overthinking the questions. After this, my marks improved on multiple choice, but were still around low 80s.

If I take physics courses in university, will I run into major problems? Does anyone have any tips on how to succeed on multiple choice?

While I still enjoyed the physics I did in high school, I found the courses a tad boring, besides the few weeks of modern physics. In order to take an introductory modern physics course, I will need to take an introduction to mechanics course, but I'm afraid I won't find it appealing. Should I be concerned?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

- Anele

Physics news on Phys.org
Anele said:
many of the multiple choice questions on tests brought my marks down

At large universities, and even at many small schools, you will be stuck with multiple choice questions on exams, in the introductory courses. Grading homework-type problems where you have to look at the details is very laborious, and impractical for large classes. I sometimes taught introductory physics for a maximum of about 60 students at a time (at a small college), and avoided multiple-choice problems. Grading exams was a lot of work. The people who teach that class now use mostly multiple choice questions, I think.

In upper-level courses the situation is different, because classes are smaller, and problems do not usually have single numeric answers, i.e. you usually have to derive an equation for something.

Thank you for your input! This brings me to... how do I improve multiple choice? And whether I'd be ok with first year classical physics.
Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of multiple choice questions in physics courses?

The purpose of multiple choice questions in physics courses is to test a student's understanding of key concepts and principles in a more efficient and objective manner. It allows for a wide range of topics to be covered in a single exam and provides a clear indication of a student's overall understanding of the subject.

2. How should I approach answering multiple choice questions in physics courses?

When answering multiple choice questions in physics courses, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, eliminate obviously incorrect answers, and use reasoning and critical thinking skills to choose the best answer. Pay attention to key words and phrases in the question and use process of elimination to narrow down the choices.

3. Are multiple choice questions in physics courses considered easier than other types of questions?

No, multiple choice questions in physics courses are not necessarily easier than other types of questions. While they may require less time to answer, they still require a solid understanding of the material and the ability to apply concepts to solve problems. Additionally, the use of distractors in multiple choice questions can make them more challenging.

4. Can I use process of elimination to answer multiple choice questions in physics courses?

Yes, process of elimination is a useful strategy for answering multiple choice questions in physics courses. By eliminating obviously incorrect options, you can narrow down the choices and increase your chances of choosing the correct answer.

5. How can I improve my performance on multiple choice questions in physics courses?

To improve your performance on multiple choice questions in physics courses, it is important to thoroughly study and understand the material, practice solving problems, and familiarize yourself with common question formats and strategies. It can also be helpful to review and analyze your mistakes on previous exams to identify areas for improvement.