1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying complex matrices and hermition

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a 4x4 matrix V composed of complex numbers. I also have a 1x4 matrix S. The question asks to solve for c in S = Vc

2. Relevant equations

I learned that c = <V, S>/||V||^2, or c= (1/a)*<V, S> where "a" is the value of the entries on the main diagonal of the Hermition matrix of V.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to solve for c because I suppose that S should be a column matrix not a row matrix, unless I transpose it but that hasn't been defined. Some help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think there is a mistake in the problem statement. For Vc to be defined, c has to be 4 X something. If c is 4 X 1, then the product Vc will be 4 X 1.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

BTW, this should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section. I am moving this thread to that section.

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the reply, I was confirmed that the 1x4 should be transposed which solves the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook