Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable differential calculus refresher?

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    I need a refresher on my multivariable differential calculus. Does anyone know of something brief with lots of exercises (maybe something geared towards physicists)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

there are no exercises but posts 115-116 of my thread who wants to be a mathematician summarizes basic several variable differential calculus.
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    Since you are a physicist, I presume you are mostly interested in vector calculus and the book for that is:

div, grad, curl and all that: an informal text on vector calculus

the author is h.m. Schey

If you want to review the other things, like coordinate systems, partial derivatives, multivar chain rule, taylor series, lagrange multipliers, then I recommend to you the book by Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences.

Edit: both books have loads of exercises, and are especially well suited towards self-study (the target audience is undergraduates).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?