Multivariate limit: (xy^2)/(x + y^2)

In summary: The points on the line y=-x do not affect the existence of the limit, only points arbitrarily close to that line do. In summary, the limit (as x,y)->(0,0) of (xy^2)/(x + y^2) is undefined because the function is not defined in a deleted neighborhood of (0,0) and there is no neighborhood for which the function is defined and the difference between the limit and the function value is less than a given epsilon. This is due to the path x = -y² which causes the function to become undefined. Additionally, the points on this path do not affect the existence of the limit as they are not part of the function's domain.
demonelite123
lim (xy^2)/(x + y^2)
(x,y)->(0,0)

i just came up with this limit to test my understanding. so approaching from y = mx, y = mx^2, and y = mx^3 all seemed to point out that the limit is 0. i tried approaching from the x and y axes and i got for approaching along the x axis: lim (as (x,y)->(0,0)) of 0 / x. would this be another instance of the limit being 0 or would it be an indeterminate form? because x is approaching 0 but it does not equal 0 so x would get smaller and smaller yet still be a finite number greater than 0 so the quotient would be 0. is this reasoning correct?

i have also tried polar coordinates and came up with: lim (as r->0) of (r^2 cos(x)sin(x))/(cos(x) + r sin^2 (x)). so when cos and sin are nonzero the limit becomes 0, no problem. when x = 0 the limit is also 0. but when x = pi/2 then i get lim (as r->0) of 0 / r which brings me back to the question i asked earlier about 0 / x. is this 0 or would it be indeterminate?

i know i can't say for sure that this limit exists but I'm starting to suspect it does if the 0 / x and 0 / r quotients indeed are also 0 when x and r approach 0 respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit as x→0 of 0/x is indeed zero, just as you reasoned. However, the multivariate limit you're investigating doesn't exist -- to see why, consider the path x = -y².

Citan Uzuki said:
The limit as x→0 of 0/x is indeed zero, just as you reasoned. However, the multivariate limit you're investigating doesn't exist -- to see why, consider the path x = -y².

oh so it would become lim (as (x,y)->(0,0)) of -y^4 / 0 which is undefined for all values of y that approach 0. then i can say the limit does not exist because there is no neighborhood of (0,0) such that the function is defined and the difference between the limit and the function value is less than a given epsilon. would this be correct?

Close, but there are a few points to make:

1: You should say deleted neighborhood instead of neighborhood -- since a function not defined at (0, 0) can of course have a limit there.

2: Saying that there is some ε such that there is no deleted neighborhood for which the function is defined and |f(x) - L|<ε shows that the limit is not L. You still have to show that there is no such neighborhood regardless of what L is to prove that there is not limit. Granted, that's no harder than doing it for some specific L if your textbook requires that the function be defined in a deleted neighborhood of a point for the limit to be defined, however...

3: In general, one only requires that the point be an accumulation point of the domain for the limit to exist. In that case, the points actually ON the curve x = -y^2 wouldn't affect the existence of the limit at all, since they are not part of the domain. What would affect the existence of the limit is the points NEAR the curve, say, x = -y^2 + y^4.

Citan Uzuki said:
Close, but there are a few points to make:

1: You should say deleted neighborhood instead of neighborhood -- since a function not defined at (0, 0) can of course have a limit there.

2: Saying that there is some ε such that there is no deleted neighborhood for which the function is defined and |f(x) - L|<ε shows that the limit is not L. You still have to show that there is no such neighborhood regardless of what L is to prove that there is not limit. Granted, that's no harder than doing it for some specific L if your textbook requires that the function be defined in a deleted neighborhood of a point for the limit to be defined, however...

3: In general, one only requires that the point be an accumulation point of the domain for the limit to exist. In that case, the points actually ON the curve x = -y^2 wouldn't affect the existence of the limit at all, since they are not part of the domain. What would affect the existence of the limit is the points NEAR the curve, say, x = -y^2 + y^4.

oh ok. i checked the limit when x = -y^2 + y^4 and it becomes -1 which is different from 0 so there indeed is no limit. i remember on another post i saw the following limit:
lim (as (x,y)->(0,0)) of (x+y) / (sin(x) + sin(y)). when y = -x the function becomes 0/0 and is undefined along that line. however the points on the line y=-x should not affect the existence of the limit because they are not a part of the function's domain, only points arbitrarily close to that line would correct?

Yes, that is correct.

What is a multivariate limit?

A multivariate limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as multiple variables approach a point simultaneously. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input variables get closer and closer to a specific point.

How is a multivariate limit calculated?

To calculate a multivariate limit, you must first determine the value of the function at the point in question. Then, you must evaluate the function as the input variables approach the point from different directions. If the function approaches the same value from all directions, then the multivariate limit exists at that point.

What is the difference between a multivariate limit and a single variable limit?

The main difference between a multivariate limit and a single variable limit is that a multivariate limit involves multiple input variables approaching a single point, while a single variable limit involves only one input variable approaching a point. Additionally, the concept of continuity is more complex in multivariate limits since the function must approach the same value from all directions.

What is the significance of the function (xy^2)/(x + y^2) in multivariate limit?

This function is commonly used in multivariate limit examples because it is a simple and easily understandable function that allows for the exploration of various concepts, such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence. It also has interesting behavior at certain points, making it a useful tool for studying multivariate limits.

How are multivariate limits used in real-world applications?

Multivariate limits are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems that involve multiple variables. For example, in physics, multivariate limits are used to describe the behavior of functions that involve multiple physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.