Solve the problem involving the given double integral

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached. Interest is on ( Problem number 9) ... i thought its the most challenging one on the page...
Relevant Equations
Integration
1701861831786.png

Ok in my approach i have the lines,
starting with the inner integral,

$$\int_0^1 xy \cos (x^2y) dx$$

I let ##u =x^2y , u(0)=0, u(1)=y##

$$\dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^y \cos u du=\left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin u \right]_0^y= \left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin (x^2y) \right]_0^1=\left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin y \right]$$Now to the outer integral,
$$ \dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^{0.5π} \sin y dy= \left[-\dfrac {1}{2} \cos y \right]_0^{0.5π}=-0+\dfrac{1}{2}= \dfrac{1}{2}$$

Any input is welcome trying to refresh on this things...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: see attached. Interest is on ( Problem number 9) ... i thought its the most challenging one on the page...
Relevant Equations: Integration

View attachment 336749

Ok in my approach i have the lines,
starting with the inner integral,

$$\int_0^1 xy \cos (x^2y) dx$$

I let ##u =x^2y , u(0)=0, u(1)=y##

$$\dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^y \cos u du=\left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin u \right]_0^y= \left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin (x^2y) \right]_0^1=\left[\dfrac{1}{2} \sin y \right]$$Now to the outer integral,
$$ \dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^{0.5π} \sin y dy= \left[-\dfrac {1}{2} \cos y \right]_0^{0.5π}=-0+\dfrac{1}{2}= \dfrac{1}{2}$$

Any input is welcome trying to refresh on this things...
Well, it is correct. I would prefer a single line of argumentation over those split equations you use. E.g.
\begin{align*}
\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_0^1 xy\,\cos(x^2y) \,dx \,dy&= \left.\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_{x=0}^{x=1} xy\,\cos(u)\,dx \,dy \quad\right| \;u:=x^2y\, , \,\dfrac{du}{dx}=2xy\, , \,xy\cdot dx=\dfrac{du}{2}\\
&=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi/2} \int_{u=0}^{u=y} \cos(u) \,du\,dy \\
&=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\left[\sin(u)\right]_0^y\;dy\\
&=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi/2} \sin(y)\,dy \\&=-\dfrac{1}{2} \left[\cos(y)\right]_{0}^{\pi/2}\\
&=-\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot (0-1)\\
&=\dfrac{1}{2}
\end{align*}
I think we should make a distinction between what we scribble down as a calculation and what we write down at the end. This has an additional advantage if things are more complicated than this. It forces you to reconsider the calculation step by step and discloses possible mistakes. As I said, this is very valuable in more complex situations, e.g. if your proof takes pages instead of lines. It's better to learn it with lines before it becomes pages.

Last edited:
Likes Math100 and chwala

1. How do I determine the limits of integration for a double integral?

To determine the limits of integration for a double integral, you need to carefully examine the region of integration in the given problem. This may involve sketching the region, identifying any boundaries or curves that define the region, and setting up appropriate limits based on these boundaries.

2. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral is used to find the numerical value of the integral over a specific region, with defined limits of integration. An indefinite double integral, on the other hand, represents the antiderivative of a function of two variables, without specific limits of integration.

3. How do I change the order of integration in a double integral?

To change the order of integration in a double integral, you need to carefully consider the region of integration and determine which order of integration would make the computation easier. This may involve switching the order of integration and adjusting the limits accordingly.

4. What techniques can I use to evaluate a double integral?

There are several techniques that can be used to evaluate a double integral, including iterated integration, changing the order of integration, using polar coordinates, and applying symmetry properties. The choice of technique depends on the complexity of the problem and the region of integration.

5. How can I check if my solution to a double integral problem is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution to a double integral problem by verifying that the integral converges, checking the limits of integration, evaluating the integral using different methods or software, and ensuring that your solution satisfies any given conditions or constraints in the problem statement.