Multiverse & Time Machine Physics

In summary, the scientist sends a warning message through time using a time-traveling device, and he plans to have some equations on his chalkboard that relate to the physics described above.
Vitaly Verlov
Hi,

My name is Vitaly, and I'm a visual effects artist and filmmaker.
I'm planning to shoot a sci-fi short film, in the end of this April. The logline goes like this: A scientist must send a warning message through time before he gets killed by an assault team.

It's going to be an intense 6-minute-long short with an '80s/retro-futuristic vibe to it.

Let's say there is a scientist who created a sophisticated technology to physically transmit matter through time.
Essentially, he created a device which operates as a sender and a receiver.

Let's say the scientist puts a piece of paper into the device and sends it, like, several hours back into the past, which means that the device establishes a conditional (or random) connection with a parallel universe B (several hours back) where the same device in the same laboratory receives this little piece of paper. Now, having this connection set between two universes (in essence, between two devices), the same scientist from universe B (past) can send a piece of paper back to universe A (present). This is how he communicates with his past (future) self/instance.

The actual physical process of transmission is unclear. Let's say the device creates a stable traversable wormhole, with some gravity/anti-gravity effects during the process.

Now, there is an old-fashioned chalkboard in the lab of this scientist. I want to fill it with real, legit-looking equations and derivations related to the physics described above. Some real hardcore stuff that makes sense, not just random equations from a textbook or Wikipedia.

So, if you're that scientist and you deal with quantum multiverse, wormholes, time and gravity, what would you have on your chalkboard? :)

I'd be really grateful to get some references to any papers that I can copy a valid portion of math/concepts from. Although the film is set in 1984, I'm interested in the current (present time) state of physics.

Thank you!

V

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the replies!

I think what I'm looking for is not just a single equation or a bottom line solution — it'd be too straightforward and simple. It doesn't have much sense when one picks a set of individual equations and puts them together on a chalkboard because it's not supposed to be a memo for the scientist. This chalkboard is his canvas.

What I'm looking for is an equation (or a set of equations) put into context with the actual process of finding a solution or at least some part of a solution.

Wormhole metrics might work — that's what I also thought of — but again, I'm looking for a context behind it, some actual calculations that lead to a traversable wormhole solution, for instance. My math/physics background from university (10 years ago) is not that advanced so I'm not always sure about where a particular solution begins and where it ends. :))

In a perfect world, it would be great to get a reply like, "Hey, check this paper, page 5, just copy the whole page of computations to your chalkboard."
If a real wormhole/M-theory/relativity physicist would take a look at this chalkboard, I'd like to hear from him something like, "That makes sense."

Thanks!

From the point of view of audience interest, whatever equations you do use will need to be made a point of reference in the storyline.
You'll need to have a character/characters making references, otherwise they will be just meaningless props (stuff on the chalkboard), for most viewers.
The typical viewer isn't going to be thinking, AHA! - I see there some wormhole metrics!

Last edited:
I pretty much understand that. :)

What I'm talking about here is not for most viewers — they sure don't care about what is written on that chalkboard. I could put a couple of random equations and of course E=mc^2 on it and that's it. :) But that's not what I'm going to do because I care and know the difference.

There is a storyline and this chalkboard is just a prop, a set decoration piece. And since I have this decoration piece on set, I want to be precise in details with it.

OK, good luck with the project.
You could pm me if you like when it's ready, I'm interested in original sci-fi.

Okay, thanks!
If everything goes well, this short is going to be ready sometime in September I guess.

Attached are my initial concepts for "the device," however in the film it's going to look quite different.

Attachments

• redux_device_cam05.jpg
    redux_device_cam05.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 464
  • redux_device_cam03.jpg
    redux_device_cam03.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 502
  • redux_device_cam06.jpg
    redux_device_cam06.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 456
Thanks. I'll read through this paper. :)

One place to look is in online physics lectures. Lots of meaningful, and full, whiteboards.

For example:
http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses

There are notes for his Quantum Entanglement course here:
http://www.lecture-notes.co.uk/suss...ure-5/example-states/#ln-non-entangled-states

And notes for other courses from here:
http://www.lecture-notes.co.uk/susskind/

Susskind's courses try to be self contained where he tries to teach the math and intuitive significance (of course, some advanced math is needed to really understand it)

I highly recommend watching the Entanglement lecture until it no longer makes sense to you.

You won't find better whiteboards full of meaningful math than online physics lectures.

Likes PartialMitch
Awesome! Thank you for these links.

Hi,

Just wanted to give an update.

Here is a teaser for this short:

#REDUX
Starring Russell Fenton, Eric Roberts.

redux_poster01_025_450px.jpg

Thanks!
V

Likes PartialMitch and meBigGuy
Nice work!

Likes Vitaly Verlov
Thanks )

I really like the tone of the sample video! Very well done!

Likes Vitaly Verlov

1. What is the Multiverse theory?

The Multiverse theory is the idea that there are multiple universes existing alongside our own. This theory suggests that there are potentially infinite universes with their own unique set of physical laws and properties.

2. How does the Multiverse theory relate to time travel?

The Multiverse theory is often used to explain the possibility of time travel. It suggests that traveling to different universes could potentially result in traveling to different points in time within those universes.

3. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of multiple universes?

Currently, there is no definitive scientific evidence for the existence of multiple universes. The Multiverse theory is still a topic of debate and research among physicists.

4. Can a time machine be built according to our current understanding of physics?

Based on our current understanding of physics, there is no known way to build a time machine. The concept of time travel is still considered to be purely theoretical and has not been proven possible.

5. What are the potential implications of time travel and the Multiverse theory?

If time travel and the Multiverse theory are proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also lead to advancements in technology and new discoveries about the nature of reality.