1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mulyiplying the effect on the load in a rope system?

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    Alright, so this is a crude drawing of my current system set-up:

[​IMG]

So what I want is a "multiplication" effect, like a 2 inch movement on the "A" side will cause a 4 inch movement on the load side.

So what should I put in the red circle to get this effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Desmond.
    The setup as shown will simply give you a reversal of force. That is, you will need to pull down on the user end of the rope with a force in excess of the load's weight. It doesn't matter what sort of wheel you put at the top.
    To gain (or in your case lose) mechanical advantage, you need a compound pulley system.
    Note that pulley systems are usually applied for the opposite of your goal. Pulling the rope 1 foot will result in a 6 inch movement of the load, but requires only half of the force.
    Your goal is usually achieved by other means.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sounds like homework.

Desmond, have a think about how you could use another pulley to lift the load more quickly than you're pulling. If not; have a look at some simple lifting arrangements on cranes.

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4
    Thanks a lot guys, I just looked at some diagrams of compound pulley systems and now I have what I need (well, I still gotta put the system in a braced position).

You guys have been really helpful, I'm glad I joined PF.

My physics course at school in gonna start soon so I'll probably be here more often then.

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem.

Danger - you need to clear out your PM box.

7. Dec 8, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:
    The problem is that I keep all of my PM's, because they're important to me. I used to clean out the box by saving them to HD. Then W killed my computer a couple of months ago, so I have to use either this one at work or hers at home. Either way, I don't have a place to stash them. I'm thinking to relocate one of my desktop or tower Mac's to a room with an electrical outlet and drop my stuff in there.
    Unfortunately, my e-mail account is similarly plagued, so you can't even get hold of me that way. I'll gladly PM you my phone #, but there might be a problem with the time zones. It's a cell, so I have it on all of the time, but I might not be awake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?