Muon decay and internal structure of leptons.

In summary, the scientific consensus on why muons decay is that they convert themselves to a neutrino and W bosons, which then deliver an electroweak "message" to virtual particles or decay into an electron and neutrino. This is due to the muon's larger mass, allowing it to move to a lower energy state while maintaining the right quantum numbers. The muon's decay is also affected by its capture in a muonic atom, which can shorten its lifetime. Modern theories and research have delved into the fascinating subject of muons and their behavior.
Flynth
Hi,

Could someone tell me please what is the scientific consensus(or some interesting theories) on why do muons decay and what is the mechanism of it? My understanding of particle decay is based on for example neutron wchich decays because a quark in it flips from down to up. But leptons, if they have no internal structure(that I know of) can't decay this way. So how? Is it because of interaction with some virtual particles? Are there any fairly recent articles about it? Wikipedia only informs they decay via "weak interaction" which doesn't explain a lot.

Using my imagination I came up to a possible explanation that there is some intrisic instability in so much mass concentrated in a lepton so when a right mix of virtual particles appear nearby the muon "gets rid" of its energy for their benefit. I wonder what explanation real physicist have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flynth said:
Using my imagination I came up to a possible explanation that there is some intrisic instability in so much mass concentrated in a lepton so when a right mix of virtual particles appear nearby the muon "gets rid" of its energy for their benefit. I wonder what explanation real physicist have?

Yes, one can think so. Even a weak interaction is a permanent interaction so the "elementary" muon is not really elementary and the virtual particles are always present with it, just like an electron in an atomic excited state. Transition of this excited compound system into the ground state is a system decay.

Bob_for_short said:
Yes, one can think so. Even a weak interaction is a permanent interaction so the "elementary" muon is not really elementary and the virtual particles are always present with it, just like an electron in an atomic excited state. Transition of this excited compound system into the ground state is a system decay.

Following the Wikipedia trail I've found out that the muon first converts itself to a neutrino and a W boson. Then the boson delivers its electroweak "message" to virtual particles, or decays to an electron and a neutrino. So my question becomes: Why do muons convert themselves to a neutrino and W bosons in the first place? Why are they unstable (i know it is because of their mass, but why their mass causes instability?). Is there some sort of "official" in depth explanation or is it just one of those things we have to accept as "that's the way it is"?

The larger mass causes instability because it allows them to move to a lower energy state (electron / positron) while maintaining the right quantum numbers. Electrons are stable because there is no lighter particle for them to decay to that would allow the system to retain the correct quantum numbers.

Flynth said:
Following the Wikipedia trail I've found out that the muon first converts itself to a neutrino and a W boson. Then the boson delivers its electroweak "message" to virtual particles, or decays to an electron and a neutrino. So my question becomes: Why do muons convert themselves to a neutrino and W bosons in the first place? Why are they unstable (i know it is because of their mass, but why their mass causes instability?). Is there some sort of "official" in depth explanation or is it just one of those things we have to accept as "that's the way it is"?
Hi Flynth-
The muon decay is actually fairly complicated. It decays to a positron or electron and two neutrinos. Because of helicity, the positron/electron momentum spectrum is described by the Michel rho parameter. The negative muon lifetime and electron spectrum in matter is also determined by its being captured in a muonic atom.
Bob S

Hologram0110 said:
The larger mass causes instability because it allows them to move to a lower energy state (electron / positron) while maintaining the right quantum numbers. Electrons are stable because there is no lighter particle for them to decay to that would allow the system to retain the correct quantum numbers.

Thanks Hologram. Great explanation why it happens.

Bob S said:
The negative muon lifetime and electron spectrum in matter is also determined by its being captured in a muonic atom.

Is the lifetime of the negative muon longer or shorter when it's captured by an atom? Muons prove to be quite an extensive and interesting subject. Someone should write a book about them(taking in account modern theories).

Flynth said:
Is the lifetime of the negative muon longer or shorter when it's captured by an atom?

It does not matter as long as no relativistic effects come into play.

Flynth said:
Is the lifetime of the negative muon longer or shorter when it's captured by an atom? Muons prove to be quite an extensive and interesting subject. Someone should write a book about them(taking in account modern theories).
Hi Flynth-
See Table IV on pages 6-10 in
http://lpsc.in2p3.fr/TPsubat/m2/References/TotalNuclearCaptureRatesForNegativeMuons.pdf
The lifetime in high Z elements is about 80 nsec, nearly independent of Z, vs. 2200 nsec in vacuum.
The have been many lengthy articles on muons in journals like Annual Reviews.

[Added] The negative muons cascade down to a 1S orbit in a few picoseconds, and for Hi Z targets, it is swimming around in a nuclear soup. The competing reaction to leptonic decay to an electron is capture on a proton (similar to nuclear electron capture of 1S electrons). So the lifetime is nearly independent of Z.
Bob S

Last edited:
Bob S said:
...The lifetime in high Z elements is about 80 nsec, nearly independent of Z, vs. 2200 nsec in vacuum.

It is due to a capture channel, not a decay one.

1. What is muon decay?

Muon decay is the process in which a muon particle transforms into other particles, such as an electron and two neutrinos. This decay occurs due to the weak nuclear force and has been extensively studied in particle physics.

2. How does muon decay help us understand the internal structure of leptons?

Muon decay allows us to study the properties of leptons, which are fundamental particles that make up matter. By observing the decay products and their energy distributions, we can gather information about the internal structure of leptons, such as their mass and charge.

3. What is the significance of studying muon decay in particle physics?

Muon decay is an important phenomenon to study in particle physics because it provides insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It also helps us test the predictions of the Standard Model, the current theory that describes the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. How does the internal structure of leptons differ from that of quarks?

While both leptons and quarks are fundamental particles, they have different internal structures. Leptons do not have a substructure and are considered to be point-like particles, while quarks have a complex substructure and cannot exist in isolation. Additionally, leptons have a different set of quantum numbers compared to quarks.

5. Can muon decay be used to study the properties of other particles besides leptons?

Yes, muon decay can also provide information about the properties of other particles, such as the W and Z bosons, which are responsible for the weak nuclear force. By studying the decay products and their energy distributions, scientists can gather information about the mass and other characteristics of these particles.