Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muon detecting with smarthpones -- need open source code...

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    hi everyone,
    nowadays i am working on muon detecting but i need something cheap.
    i saw on the internet some people are using their smartphone as a detector with sensor or phones cameras. is there anyone can share their code ?
    there are some samples but they dont share their code.. only can use the program..
    i need to develop something for myself.
    thank you...

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

arivero

Gold Member

Have you asked them, or searched in github and/or google code?

I have always thought there was to strategies here: either look for CCD excitation, or look for self-correction events in RAM memory. Unfortunately the later is not available to software.

4. May 12, 2015 #3
    yeah! i've asked them but no one wants to share their project.
    thank you i will be seraching about CCD excitation and self -corr. in RAM
    and also what do you think which is easier to develop this kind of programs... swift or java ?
    cuz i have no idea about self corr. ram and ccd

5. May 12, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Independent of the software question (no idea, sorry), I would expect that most visible events are gamma or beta rays, with just a small fraction of muons.

6. May 12, 2015 #5
    no problem (about ques.)
    but, what do you wanna say with small fraction of muons ?

7. May 12, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The smartphone camera will also react to radioactivity, most of the time the camera sees something it is probably a radioactive decay nearby.

8. May 12, 2015 #7
    youre right.
    so i need sth like coincedence... and
    maybe two cameras ?

9. May 12, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

That sounds challenging. The slow readout doesn't help either.
    Phones can have two cameras but those are too close and probably with a bad relative orientation.

What is the original project idea and scope?

10. May 12, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

:)) muon detectors with a the mobile?

11. May 12, 2015 #10
  12. May 15, 2015 #11
    @mfb
    yeahh deco and also a german compony made this kind of app. but no one gives the source code.
    @crhisVer
    why not ?
    even you can observe with cloud chember ( such a simple thng)

13. May 15, 2015 #12

mfb

2016 Award

A cloud chamber is a 3-dimensional detector, which makes things much easier.

14. May 15, 2015 #13
    I don't image the source code would be terribly complicated, the detection is done in the hardware isn't it? From what I understand the system works like this:
    Place something thin over the camera, preventing light from penetrating but allowing higher energy particles to pass through. They hit the CCD and from there the camera thinks it's detecting light. So a good guess is that the software turns the camera on and leaves the CCD on, maybe checking the buffer every few milliseconds for anything other than a black image. When it detects something, then there may be some sort of algorithm that determines if it's a muon or another type of high energy particle, but the capture part seems very simple.

15. May 15, 2015 #14

mfb

2016 Award

Muons pass through buildings easily, some muons even pass through kilometers of rock.
    You have to shield the phone from light very well, if you find some material with low radioactivity this can also serve as radiation shielding. Muons will still pass through.

16. May 15, 2015 #15
    @newjerseyrunner
    yeah youre right algorithym is true but there are some tricks.. should know the tricks..
    i cat handle with all progrraming languages. i only know phyton litle bit. cuz of this i am saying that i have to find a code and i should edit.
    @mfb
    i think there is no way to protect sensors or phone from muons with homemade materials.
    they protect the tubes (geiger) with alleminuim from radioactivy.

thank you all of you friends.
    if i find a source code make sure i ll share.

17. May 15, 2015 #16

mfb

2016 Award

There is no way to shield from muons with anything apart from mountains (and there are no home-made mountains), but that was never the purpose, right? Shielding against radioactivity of the environment would help.

18. May 15, 2015 #17
    we are saying same things but both ones are not the solution :)
    thank you for responses.

19. Aug 17, 2015 #18

Cip

Gold Member

Hi Ghalimoglu,
    i'm also trying to detect muons (or other radiations) with the smartphone.
    I've done some test with OpenCV library in Java on a Samsung S2 mobile telephone, but with no success : i record an image when at least one of the pixel has a value of R,G,B component different from zero (obviously before i cover the camera with a black tape).
    But all the images are completely black even if R,G,B values are higher than zero.. (note that with normal lights images that i record are good and fits the picture i'm acquiring).

Have you done some exepriments ?
    Happy if we can share information !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook